Camels Hump On Saturday, 10-9-2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
In our continuing quest to to climb all the 4K's in new England, Alpinista and I are traveling to the great state of Vermont to climb Camels Hump (4,083 feet) on Saturday, October 9.

We'll use the Monroe Trail and Dean Trail Loop, which is 8 miles, 2600 feet elevation, 5 hours 20 minutes. If weather conditions look poor or we get lazy, we'll skip the Loop and do the Monroe out and back, 6.8 miles 2600 feet, 4 hours 40 minutes.

We'll be at the Monroe trailhead at 10:00 AM (hopefully), if you plan to go let us know and we'll discuss the logistics.

Tony :) :D ;) :cool:

Last edited:
Waaaah. I have *so* much work I should be doing this weekend.

I'll decide by midday Friday.

By the way, Saturday is October 9th.
:confused:

Work, schmirk, MichaelJ! It'll always be there waiting for you-- and this is a short hike. We'll be back way early! :D

Saturday:
Partly cloudy skies early. A few showers developing later in the day. High 69F.

All right, let's just get it done before the rain (sound familiar, Tony?)

That makes 4 of us. What's the plan? Meet where and when? I'm happy to drive and take on passengers.

MichaelJ -- wanna meet me at my pad at 6:30ish? I'm guessing we should live Tony's place in Nashua by 7ish to get up to Camel's Hump trailhead by 10ish? Does that sound right?

(Even though I used to live in VT, I'm still not used to what kind of travel times we should expect to get up to the mountains there! It's fun exploring a new territory. I could kick myself for not hiking when I lived there in the '80s!)

BTW, I'm also having trouble finding detailed maps of VT mountains. I have the penultimate version of the Long Trail guide but the maps with it aren't all that detailed -- they're certainly not topos. I went to REI in Reading last night and they didn't have a single book on VT -- and claimed, wrongly, that the Long Trail guide is no longer in print! (I was hoping to score the latest edition.)

Do you or Tony have any good maps???

Sounds right and not so right. 3 hours to the trailhead from Tony's sounds right. But 1/2 hour from you to Tony doesn't, because it's exactly 1/2 hour for me, and that's directly up Rte 3, 98% highway. We'd actually be better off meeting at my place.

Where we going to meet up with Hikerfast?

If I didn't already lose my brand-new book, I have Jared Gange's guide to hiking VT. Hopefully I'll find it when I get to work today. I can also print a map from Topo USA, which isn't as good as a USGS topo but still has its uses. Tony has the newest of the LT guides.

:) I have the latest Long Trail Guide, which has a good description of the Camels Hump area. Their is a 3+ page section, map, and a short description of the trails to Camels Hump in the guide. Should be sufficient to get us to the top and back. Plus the weather report seems to be improving for tomorrow in that area.

Hikerfast lives in Concord, NH and also wants to join the trip. He could meet us at one of the Park and Rides on I-89, I remember one at exit 2 in NH.

MichaelJ: Sounds good. Can you PM me directions to your pad? I'm assuming you know how to get to Tony's place.

One of the park and ride spots on I-89 sounds good to hook up with Hikerfast.

Of course you all realize that the big tussle at the end of the day will be whether we listen to the Sox or my beloved Yanks on the way back! :eek:

What tussle? There won't be a game tomorrow; the Sox will complete the sweep today.
:D

I pm'd you the directions.