car camping in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Has anyone slept in their car overnight at trailhead during the winter? if so, any tips. Did you have to start car a few times to stay warm, or just snuggle up in sleeping bag.

Opening the windows a crack is a must. Try it out ahead of time to make sure that you can get comfortable; for instance, my wife and I have to switch sides since I usually drive and the pedals limit my leg room. We did not start the car at all, but we did crank up the heat before we arrived to maximize warmth

Also keep in mind that camping in your car at trailheads might be against the regulations depending on where you are.

I car camped just a few weeks ago. I was pretty comfortable in my bag and did not have to start the car once either. I arrived at the trailhead at around 1am so I Could get an early start the next morning.

Right, do not use the frame of your car as an insulator. Depend on your sleeping bag for that, not your car. First time I slept in my car was in the fall in subfreezing temps and there was a nice thick layer of ice on the inside of my windshield. After that I learned to roll the windows down :)

Now in the summer during black fly season, then you have to be tricky and get some meshing (or use a tent :) ) but thats another story :eek:

It's just like tent camping in winter, but instead of a tent, you're in a car.

-Same rules apply that apply to regular winter camping - keep anything that you don't want frozen inside your bag

-Never had to start the car - I just use my winter sleeping bag - have been fine with 15 degree bag for a while now

-I crank the heat before hitting the hay - doesn't hurt to get a head start

-If you are sleeping in the driver's or passenger seat (reclined), put something under your feet (I wear my down booties) - the seats insulate well but the floor gets pretty cold

-Crack the window open just a little to minimize frost on the inside - although many nights I've forgotten to do so and the frost was still manageable.

-If you don't reach the trailhead and it's getting late, find other places you can sleep at without getting woken up by the authorities - Wallmart parking lots, rest areas, other trailheads... Nothing worse than getting woken up by a mag light in your face.

-I usually turn the car on and warm it up in the morning

And final tip - You CAN drive a manual while inside your sleeping bag - BUT be careful not to have your feet on the gas and the clutch at the same time or else you'll engage your brakes every time you do ;)

If you're in a Honda with a factory security system, and you lock yourself in before you go to sleep, and you wake up and start the car, be sure to disable the alarm first, or you'll announce yourself loudly to the world.

In addition, don't keep the key fob in your pocket, or you'll set off the alarm when you roll over on the panic button in your sleep.

These are just two of the rude awakenings you can provide in the name of "security."

Also, if you camp in a place you've never been before in the daylight, and you go off to find the privy, make sure you know the way back to your spot. The lean-tos at Heart Lake are especial candidates for this, as I experienced it myself briefly and we had a regular parade of other slightly lost people come through our site.

--M. said:
If you're in a Honda with a factory security system, and you lock yourself in before you go to sleep, and you wake up and start the car, be sure to disable the alarm first, or you'll announce yourself loudly to the world.

In addition, don't keep the key fob in your pocket, or you'll set off the alarm when you roll over on the panic button in your sleep.

These are just two of the rude awakenings you can provide in the name of "security."

Great advice, I'm pretty sure I didn't make any friends on the South Meadows road when my alarm went off at 6 am! :eek:

bignslow said:
Great advice, I'm pretty sure I didn't make any friends on the South Meadows road when my alarm went off at 6 am! :eek:
The same happens with my car if I lock it with the remote and it activates the alarm. I just lock the doors with the door lock button on the inside.

cbcbd said:
Nothing worse than getting woken up by a mag light in your face.
Dog growls, followed almost immediately by mag light shining in my face:

"Sir, what are you doing here?" (i.e., parked behind a closed-for-the-night sheriff's suboffice.) It's a state trooper, not one of the locals.

"Ah . . . I'm part of the search for the missing kid. The sheriff's department told me I could sleep here."

"OK, then. Have a good night."

Back to sleep, for about fifteen minutes. Dog growls again.

"Sir, the sheriff's office is wondering whether you know where your two fellow team members are? They haven't heard from them for a couple hours."

So, call them on the radio to confirm that yes, they were also sleeping . . . right up until awakened. Trooper leaves. Dog goes back to sleep. I can't now. That's OK, it will be light again in another hour or so and we can continue looking for the kid . . . once everyone else wakes up.

I just sleep in the back of my SUV. It is just like a tent, but with hard sides. I have a zero degree rated sleeping bag and it keeps me toasty. I use a foam sleeping pad for a little more comfort. I bring a pee bottle so I don't have to get out of the truck until I am ready in the morning. I sometimes will start the engine and run the defroster/heater for a few minutes in the morning to take a bit of the chill off while I am getting dressed.

One year I had a midweek pass to Killington so I slept at the Gondola base 4nights/week for the entire season in my Jeep Wrangler (back seats removed) accompanied by my first big Akita.
Used NF -30 bag, had a fleece liner, thermals , hat. Was never cold but I never cracked the windows so big layer of ice on the inside. I also used a pee bottle.
There were some bitter cold nights up there but I was always very comfortable. Nice hot coffee at the gondola base restaurant come morning.
I don't think they allow that anymore. I was by myself mostly, sometimes a camper or two but not often.
The only drawback was I could not lock the back door from the inside but no one ever bothered me. I have to say I did a lot of things with my dogs that I never would have dared to do on my own.

Maddy said:
I don't think they allow that anymore.
Don't know about the Skyeship base, but I've been kicked out of the K1 parking lot so I think they frown upon that now.

Sleepng in

I've slept in the car a few times and I do not recommend it. I'm only 5'4" and never felt comfortable in any "car".
BUT- SUV camping is a whole different thing and I have done that alot- every season of the year- and I've always slept well. I just roll out the thermarest and get in my sleeping bag and good night. I've slept comfortably in temp. down to -35 and I never had to turn on the heater. In fact I would not want to try sleeping with the engine on- you may not wake up.

But- I only like to do this as an expedient measure, when I am in full peak-bagging mode, or if I arrive at a trailhead very late. Otherwise I prefer to camp out in the woods, even if I just walk out 1/2 a mile. After all I travel great distances to have an experience in the wilderness, not in a car (or motel, etc.).