Caribou Mtn. Sunday, 1/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I would like to do a little hike out to Caribou Mountain in Maine on Sunday, 1/23. It's probably not on anyone's list because of its height (2850') but it's supposedly a spectacular little peak with great views from an open summit.

Caribou Mtn. is part of the Caribou - Speckled Mountain Wilderness Area and the trailhead is off Rt. 2 on Bog Road. Supposedly this road is plowed -- definitely for the first 2 miles and (hopefully) most likely even further. This in/out hike takes the Caribou Trail and is 6.8 miles roundtrip with a 2050' change in elevation. I'd imagine snowshoes are required and crampons may be helpful for the ledgy summit.

I would really love to do this little hill on Sunday. I think it'll make for some fairly easy and delightful snowshoe tramping. If anyone is interested, please post here or contact me via. PM. I would like to start around 8AM. I'll be in the area so I could be flexible about that but I may have to leave early anyway. Hope to see you all there!

Yours, as always,

Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Dr. Wu - Can't join you, but I can say that Caribou is a wonderful little peak. I've been up it from all directions, and might suggest you also check out the loop hike from Route 113 that uses the Caribou Trail up and the Mud Brook trail down. I've found this to be my favorite way, with some nice waterfalls on the way up, and a neat little boreal bog on the way down.

As I recall, Route 113 is usually plowed until about the Hastings Campground. It is only a mile beyond to the trailhead. (As for Bog Road, I haven't been on it in winter, but I am generally doubtful that any roads in that area will be plowed past the last house.)

Whatever you choose, it will be a great hike.

cushetunk said:
Dr. Wu - Can't join you, but I can say that Caribou is a wonderful little peak. I've been up it from all directions, and might suggest you also check out the loop hike from Route 113 that uses the Caribou Trail up and the Mud Brook trail down. I've found this to be my favorite way, with some nice waterfalls on the way up, and a neat little boreal bog on the way down.

As I recall, Route 113 is usually plowed until about the Hastings Campground. It is only a mile beyond to the trailhead. (As for Bog Road, I haven't been on it in winter, but I am generally doubtful that any roads in that area will be plowed past the last house.)

Whatever you choose, it will be a great hike.

Hi! I'll be in Jefferson that night so looping all the way around to go North on 113 would be a pain in the butt. According to various guide books, Bog Road is plowed to the farm and sometimes plowed all the way to near the trailhead. If I was coming up from Boston, I'd probably go 113 and take the Caribou Trail from the east. Maybe next time I'll plan for that.

Regards,

Dr. Wu