Carter Dome Rainbow Trail Camp/Water

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couloir007

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on places to pitch a tent and water availability just below the summit of Carter Dome along the Rainbow Trail? There appears to be a significant flat area to get the requisite 200' from the trail and perhaps a few nearby springs. I know a few sites are right at the summit, but I want to get off the trail and abide by the rules.

Can anyone comment on places to pitch a tent and water availability just below the summit of Carter Dome along the Rainbow Trail? There appears to be a significant flat area to get the requisite 200' from the trail and perhaps a few nearby springs. I know a few sites are right at the summit, but I want to get off the trail and abide by the rules.
It has been several years since I last did that trail but I recall the woods there not being usable. Fairly rocky, scrub, etc. I don't recall any stealth spots but it's been about 5 years. Photo of the woods in area:
DSCN7246.JPG

I did a quick check, and it seems only certain trails and bodies of water require the 200'. I remember reading the 200' rule in my AMC guide from the 80s and don't remember it being restricted to only certain trails. Either way, it's water availability near the summit that most concerns me. I'm hoping not to need to lug 3 or 4 liters of water up from Carter Notch.

I did a quick check, and it seems only certain trails and bodies of water require the 200'. I remember reading the 200' rule in my AMC guide from the 80s and don't remember it being restricted to only certain trails. Either way, it's water availability near the summit that most concerns me. I'm hoping not to need to lug 3 or 4 liters of water up from Carter Notch.
I don't recall any water sources up there either. Unless there are puddles and run off from recent rains I think you'll be packing it up. And I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the summit is in a restricted use area so any tent sites would not be "official" if that is a concern.

This is still the law of the land as far as I know https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf
As usual my editorial comment is that whomever developed the brochure either deliberately intended to confuse recommendations and restrictions or just was not very good at brochure creation. The last page lists the only restrictions. LNT guidelines are only guidelines that may buy you good karma but restrictions could buy you a ticket if you ignore them.

Note there is one last category not predictable, which is WMNF supervisors temporary order which can close camping in any area of the WMNF, they do not appear to need posting anywhere except at the actual location. I have not heard of any recently but were used a lot on the bootleg sites along the ridge north of the junction of the Liberty Spring trail with the Franconia Ridge Trail.

The only campsite I know of which is used frequently by AT thru hikers in the Carter Dome area is the one between Carter Dome and Mount Height, it just barely meets the below treeline rule and is just a wide spot in the woods. The trail maintainers dont like it and there was a period of time where it got brushed in frequently.

I am not aware of any reliable water source near the summit. Zeta Pass may have some wet spots but a hiker may have to head down Carter Dome trail to get to the drainage stream. That ridge in general tends to be dry.

I think we camped there long ago. There was a small rise and a big flat area that we pitched a tent on, room for a few more. There was no water in the immediate area.

This detail is 20 years old, however to TIFWIW.

This is still the law of the land as far as I know https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf
As usual my editorial comment is that whomever developed the brochure either deliberately intended to confuse recommendations and restrictions or just was not very good at brochure creation. The last page lists the only restrictions. LNT guidelines are only guidelines that may buy you good karma but restrictions could buy you a ticket if you ignore them.

Note there is one last category not predictable, which is WMNF supervisors temporary order which can close camping in any area of the WMNF, they do not appear to need posting anywhere except at the actual location. I have not heard of any recently but were used a lot on the bootleg sites along the ridge north of the junction of the Liberty Spring trail with the Franconia Ridge Trail.

The only campsite I know of which is used frequently by AT thru hikers in the Carter Dome area is the one between Carter Dome and Mount Height, it just barely meets the below treeline rule and is just a wide spot in the woods. The trail maintainers dont like it and there was a period of time where it got brushed in frequently.

I am not aware of any reliable water source near the summit. Zeta Pass may have some wet spots but a hiker may have to head down Carter Dome trail to get to the drainage stream. That ridge in general tends to be dry.

It would serve them well to publish an up to date version of the backcountry camping regulations. I've been spending entirely too much time reading forest orders lately. That document is less than comprehensive and often inconsistent with signage on the ground.

Rainbow Ridge could provide an open flat spot but water will still be an issue.