Catamount Mountain via Catamount Mountain Trail (27-May-2013)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Completely forgot about filing a trail conditions report about this hike that was done on 27-May over the Memorial Day weekend. Perhaps it's a case of better late than never?

Regardless, this was the first time I've hiked to Catamount. Although the trail is unblazed and minimally maintained, I found it easy to follow. On the ledges there are some strategically placed cairns to guide you, and there are even a few spots where a directional arrow is painted on the ledge surface to steer you in the right direction.

Blowdowns were minimal and easily negotiated. There were no tricky water crossings, nor any significant mud. On the day of my hike, there were patches of snow at the higher elevations, but by now they have likely melted away.

At about 1.3 miles into the hike, there is a narrow chimney which is nearly vertical. I'm a fairly skinny guy and was unable to squeeze through it via a frontal approach. However, I was able to squeeze through by removing my backpack and pushing it ahead of me as I climbed up the chimney in sort of a sideways orientation.

Photos taken during this hike are at my BLOG.