Catskills Caution: PE trail bridge between the BR and the CO trail...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
This is just a heads up after working on my Curtis-Ormsbee (CO) trail on saturday before the BBQ for Trails Day. On my way to the CO trail from the usual Slide Mtn Trailhead on Route 47, I passed by the big log bridge over a drainage that is between the Burroughs Range (BR) trail junction and the CO trail junction. It's the one big bridge that you have to cross. The near side cribbing is halfway washed out, much like what happened to the bridge over the Deer Shanty/Neversink on the way to Table on the Long Path by the Fisherman's path. However, the bridge which has 3 logs spanning the foundation on both side is still standing and still passable (as of saturday June 2nd, 2012) but its not going to get any better and one might not notice the washed out cribbing if it's night out so hikers and backpackers be careful.

Martin Stratton, who is my TC contact, is already aware of the situation and has notified the NYNJTC and the DEC. Since the DEC can't even spell correctly, I hope they will sometime get around to fixing the bridge before it too, collapses from the next big storm. But until then, just a heads up for folks intending to use the trail there..

Jay