Catskills Rt 47 to Bisquit Brook Lean-to 1/3/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul ron

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: 12" fresh unbroken packing powdered snow. 4°F n windy, felt like -10°F, and sunny.

Starting from Rt 47 the trail to Bisquit Brook lean-to was 12" of fresh unbroken snow. It was so soft n powdery, very packable. We would have stopped to make a snowman but it was getting late if we were to get to the lean-to by dark. Snow shoes are a must because it seems there was old crusty snow below that just fell through to the knee with every step.

One thing after another we managed to get to the lean-to by 5pm. A flat tire in the parking area was the first omen. Then on the trail a broken pack strap we field repaired. When we stoped by the first stream crossing I noticed I had lost my Nalgene water bottle. Once at the junction by Frost Valley boundry the winds started to rip us to pieces. Being so cold the wind was just making it that much worse, but we were prepared for it, adding exrta layers n a face mask helped.

The lean-to is in great shape, a bit of snow blowen over the floor but the broom made cleanup easy and quick. We started to make hot choclate but the stove pump broke. The 2 small tabs that hold the plunger part in broke clean off. I guess the cold must have made it very brittle. I don't understand why such an important part of the stove is made of cheap plastic to begin with. This changed all our plans for what would have been a 3 day outing. Since it was dark we decided not to build a fire and just get to bed early.

Special equipment: Snowshoes a must have, warm layers and a good pair of sunglasses to keep the wind out of your eyes. My eyes were very irritated the next day.

Latest posts