Chaffing, it hurts.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Rickie said:
what do you wear under it.
Socks.

I do sometimes wear bike shorts as underwear when running or climbing; they don't chafe. The padding can get a bit awkward sometimes when you're not on a saddle, though.

Bag balm user, no problems, would never consider anyday over 10 miles without it. Have had no issues on 20 & 30 mile days.

tea tree oil

If, in addition to chafing, you suspect a fungal infection, I vote for tea tree oil. I use a shampoo called "triple treat" by Giovanni - use that to wash the infected area, and presto! no more irritation. Then protect with all the vaseline, bodyglide, bag balm etc. you want. High mileage runners would also be a good source of insights/advice on this question.

Flammeus used to have a chafing problem, running, not hiking, and he swears by the spandex biking style shorts.

And, for style points, definitely hike in a kilt. ;)

I very rarely have chafing problems anymore but I remember how it would feel.

Like someone was holding one of those plumber's welding torches against my inner thighs. Every step of the way out.

Just thought I'd share.

Bag Balm is 99.7% petrolatum (petroleum jelly) and lanolin, and .3% 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate (a coal-tar derived antiseptic). The safety of -hydroxyquinoline sulfate appears to be somewhat in doubt, but it doesn't look like much formal testing has been done: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=8-hydroxyquinoline+sulfate&btnG=Google+Search

Presumably the same softening and lubrication can be achieved with just a mixture petrolatum and lanolin.

Doug

Body glide. I use it all the time for areas that chafe when I run. Not as greasy feeling as vaseline and won't stain your clothes like vaseline.

kmac said:
KILT!!! will solve all your chafing problems!

William Wallace would be proud to see you climbing in your highland gear...... For me I think the 20yards of pure wool plaid in my dress kilt to be a little warm and heavy for climbing in.

Reekee said:
Bag balm? If it's good enough for cow tits...........................

I agree this is the best goop out there (YMMV), but I'm not sure I want to be comparing my chafed regions with 'cow tits' :eek: