Cheapest Alternative to Nikwax Tech-Wash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran out of tech wash tonight after washing most of my fall and winter breathable stuff.

I found this atsko stuff which makes all the claims that Nikwax does, but is alot cheaper.

Anybody know of anything even less expensive?

REI has this stuff available, but I've never used it. I hardly ever clean my stuff though. This is REI instructions on washing goretex. There's no mention of techwash-type products being needed.

and then there's this:

"NOTE: W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc. does not recommend the use of liquid soaps or special "waterproof/breathable" soaps when washing Gore-Tex outerwear."

more instruction here;

The North Face - Contact and Frequently Asked QuestionsAll North Face garments have cleaning instructions on a tag inside the garment. ... In fact, washing your jacket regularly will help maintain the DWR ...
www2.thenorthface.com/ap/contact-us.html - Cached - Similar

Product Care / Arc'teryxWe do NOT recommend using a wash-in DWR as this process does not .... If cleaning fluid or mineral spirits are used, the DWR will need to be reapplied. ...
www.arcteryx.com/product-care.aspx - Cached - Similar

Last edited:
I note that Arc'teryx recommends the Granger's line, which is what I've been using for the last few years with good results. It's somewhat less expensive than the Nikwax stuff, but the price difference isn't really what drives my choice.