Chris Waddell (paraplegic) to summit Kilimanjaro

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful...people like him remind me what's real. I feel so fortunate to have the mobility that I do -- good to remember when the trivial weighs heavy.

It always makes me stop and think when I read an inspirational story like his, about the power of positive thinking -- because folks like this don't really gain thier strength from thier obstacles-- it always seems as though they've had it all along and it just keeps shining through, no matter what.

Thanks for sharing, his is a good journey to follow. :)

Wow! I don't know if any of you have met Chris, but he's a very nice guy. It's absolutely amazing to see what he's accomplished! He's quite a skier, too!

Even more impressive that his personal goal of reaching the summit unassisted is the way that he has used what happened to him to raise awareness of, and empathy for, different degrees of "ableness." It reminds me of how the late Christopher Reeve turned his personal tragedy into a way of doing good for others. Very impressive, very inspiring.

I think it’s interesting to note, that the one commonality we (mountaineers, hikers, peakbaggers, backpackers etc) have is we are all goal oriented individuals.
Una-dogger raised an interesting observation in that (paraphrasing) most individuals are born with that level of motivation, drive, desire to persevere, despite major obstacles.

Can that level of motivation be taught, modeled, learned, given to someone? I don’t know.

Personally, I am driven by challenge, both mentally and physically. Without a challenge, I get bored with the endeavor.

I can’t even imagine what drives Chris.
I have no idea what drives blind individuals, double amputees’ and the like to climb Everest.
I have no idea what drove Beck Weathers to stand up and walk down to camp.
I have no idea what drove Robert Scott and crew to explore the frightening remoteness of the Antarctica.
Etc, etc, etc.

These’s types of motivation are mindboggling to me, and very inspirational.

I would like to get a shot of that type of motivation though. Maybe they’ll make a pill someday. :D

*bump* The plan is for Chris to ascend this fall!