Cliff and Redfield 8/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Started at upper works trailhead 8/22, camped 2 nights at Lake Colden, day-hiked Cliff and Redfield 8/23, hiked out the way I came 8/24. Good views available at Flowed Lands (and one can follow paths around part of the shoreline for more views and photo spots), Lake Colden, and both summits (Redfield has some unobstructed views, Cliff has good but partial views mainly to the north and northwest).

Trail from upper works to Lake Colden was good - some muddy spots, but this is the Adirondacks, that is to be expected - and on my way out I passed a ranger and a volunteer crew doing work improving the lower sections of this trail. Paths to cliff and redfield were easy to find and follow, albeit very muddy (especially Cliff). The common start to both paths - right opposite the uphill brook lean-to - is now marked not with a cairn (though the path is obvious even without a cairn) but with the word "red" painted on a rock.

No bear encounters camping at Lake Colden (a change from prior years) and the ranger said he thinks they may have "turned a corner" this year, with far fewer bear problems reported this year.

The ranger also reported he hoped to get some brush clearing done soon on trail 123 (to flowed lands via hanging spear falls)

Almost no bugs either.

Of course, if the upcoming huricane hits the area hard, all bets are off...