Colorado: Labor Day-ish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalksWithBlackflies

Reaction score
I'm tentatively planning on hiking in Colorado sometime near Labor Day (late August, early September). Leaning towards the Telluride area, including Mt. Sneffels... but nothing set in stone. Camping most nights. Would rather not hike solo... anyone interested? Airline tickets are pretty cheap right now, so I'd like to purchase ASAP.

Rico,

The San Juans are BEAUTIFUL. We were there one summer and wanted to climb Sneffels. Unfortunately, it had a record snowfall that previous winter and the snow was very deep. We had 3 young teenagers with us and they did not know how to use crampons or ice axes and local climbers said there was lots of meltwater running underneath the snowfields, where a fall thru would be fatal.
If you're down that way, be sure to take a day poking around the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and a full day at Mesa Verde.

Last edited:
I am planning Sneffels somewhere in the 7/14 - 7/20 range, most likely as a dayhike. Can't wait!!