Come on Baby, Light my Fire!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
As Winter approaches, I start to think about what extra gear to add to my pack. One thing I do not currently have is fire starter. (I already have matches, lighter, tinder, and a Jetboil). I figured I'd add a couple of those little rectangular packages to my emergency supplies (see link above).

What else do people carry for fire making tools/supplies, etc.?

I just carry REI survival matches in a waterproof match holder.Everything else is un-needed weight, tinder and fuel is already out there you just have to know where to look.

(I already have matches, lighter, tinder, and a Jetboil).

So with the jetboil you're carrying the canister, which *may* not be great in real cold weather, right ? I've carried one of these for emergency use. If you know you're going to stop and boil water regardless, the jetboil is easier. If it's just for emergency fire, I carry matches and vaselined cotton balls in a film canister. I haven't tried to start a REAL fire in a REAL emergency, but I'm sure the amount of small and medium tinder then small, medium and large wood you gather BEFORE you light thing is as important as anything.

Clean your dryer lint trap numerous times and keep the lint balls in a sandwich bag..they also can be soaked with vaseline or hand sanitizer..I also have a couple of "magic firestarters" from Cabelas (wax/paper cubes) but you have to buy them in bags of 50...

As Winter approaches, I start to think about what extra gear to add to my pack. One thing I do not currently have is fire starter. (I already have matches, lighter, tinder, and a Jetboil). I figured I'd add a couple of those little rectangular packages to my emergency supplies (see link above).

What else do people carry for fire making tools/supplies, etc.?

Haven't we done this before?

That fire starter burns with thick black smoke. You sure you want to release all that ugly yuckie carbon just to save your life in a survival situation?

Where are your values man!? :mad:

;):p:D

I just carry REI survival matches in a waterproof match holder.Everything else is un-needed weight, tinder and fuel is already out there you just have to know where to look.

Since we already established in the "lost" thread that most people posting here are relatively unlikely to get so lost we can't find our way back, the kind of emergency situation where someone might need to make a fire may very well be under circumstances of limited mobility - twisted ankle or blown-out knee or maybe just caught out after dark. A fire-starter may be just the thing for making a fire with what is close at hand, which might not be ideal.

I like the cotton balls and petroleum jelly but I also carry one of these.

Looks like they have quite a selection of options here as well.

As far as fuel for my stove goes, I carry white gas, unpressurized until I'm ready to use it (MSR). If need be, this can also be poured out and lit. Just watch your eyebrows.

One thing I gleaned from the Scott Mason account where the young eagle scout was down in Great Gulf with a sprained ankle was his clever use of antibacterial lotion for fire starter. He was able to start fires right on top of snow with it on twigs and branches because of its alcohol content. I always have it with my TP so I now consider it duel purpose and credit young Scott for the great idea!;)

As far as fuel for my stove goes, I carry white gas, unpressurized until I'm ready to use it (MSR). If need be, this can also be poured out and lit. Just watch your eyebrows.

Me too when going overnight. Used some recently as I had started the fire but hadn't gathered enough small stuff to keep it going. White gas is considered cheating, but who the flock would care if it's a situation ? Or even if you just want to start the darn fire ?

Dave Bear said:
He was able to start fires right on top of snow with it on twigs and branches because of its alcohol content.

Cool thing. Obviously you wouldn't want snow or ice as your base without some sort of plan. I carried a decent length of wire for a while that was, like, quintuple purposed. One was to create a net or basket that the fire or my stove could exist on above the snow/ice.

I have messed around with a bunch of different fire starter ideas. I finally settled on a Firesteel.com Gobspark which is made and sold by a guy here in New Hampshire. I LOVE this thing. It shoots nice hot sparks in large quantity, and when combined with Vaseline soaked cotton balls you are golden! I recently tried it out on an ALMOST worse case scenario when I was on a backpacking trip this summer. I say "almost worse case" because the wood I was using was soaking wet, but it was not raining at that time. But regardless, a Vaseline soaked cotton ball, some small tinder and one strike of the firesteel got me started and some cautious tending eventually gave us a good ember base. The firesteel works wet, cold, no matter what. I now trust it without question.

Brian

I bought a box of Trioxane bars years ago that used to be used in one of the military food rations. One bar will make several fires and they burn no matter how wet. I think the stuff is very similiat to esbits tabs but a lot larger and at the time cheaper.

. I haven't tried to start a REAL fire in a REAL emergency, .

Best to practice when there is no emergency. Practice making a fire in a downpour and wind or when it's so cold you can't keep you gloves off for very long. If you can do that you can handle any real emergency.

It's fun!

I always carry matches with the strip off the match box for lighting (even with "light-anywhere" matches it helps for getting them started easily). Also several candle stubs - dual purpose for light and fire-starters. I like the dryer-lint-with-vaseline idea and may add some to my kit.

Since we already established in the "lost" thread that most people posting here are relatively unlikely to get so lost we can't find our way back, the kind of emergency situation where someone might need to make a fire may very well be under circumstances of limited mobility - twisted ankle or blown-out knee or maybe just caught out after dark. A fire-starter may be just the thing for making a fire with what is close at hand, which might not be ideal.

I cant agree with your logic for this reason, if in fact someone is immobile do to an injury, having firestarter material is a moot point because you will be unable to gather wood to sustain your fire.