Concerned citizens get naked on glacier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencer Tunick -- awesome guy, love his work.

I was *almost* a part of his NYC Times Square piece in 1997, the one that got him in hot water with the NYPD.

Thanks for the link.

Good video. Beyond the fact that people need to spend more time naked, I'm kind of conflicted about the whole climate change thing. Ya know, I've had a membership in Greenpeace on and off over the years, but when it comes down to it, I'm just a middle class schlep doing the same crap that everyone else is, so it has always felt kind of hypocritical. "Petrol-based environmentalist" as I saw someone once put it.

I can't stop laughing. That was 105 seconds of total crap....including the "music". I won't get into the whole climate change / global warming debate, because that always ends as it starts. But to call this "art"? Bill Evans on piano...art. Wynton Marsalis on trumpet...yes. Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice...yes. This?...please.

OK, I just watched it again, just to give it another shot, before I hit the submit button. Now I'm laughing even harder.

"I WAS IN THE POOL.......I WAS IN THE POOL!"
-George Costanza

Billy, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I appreciate the work this man has produced.

Any time the beauty of the naked human body is brought into focus in a nonsexual, interesting way...yes, that's art, at least to me. Not many people can capture those kinds of images in such a way. Getting that kind of photo right takes just as much talent as Streep expressing her lines with the correct nuance.

I can't stop laughing. That was 105 seconds of total crap....including the "music". I won't get into the whole climate change / global warming debate, because that always ends as it starts. But to call this "art"? Bill Evans on piano...art. Wynton Marsalis on trumpet...yes. Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice...yes. This?...please.

OK, I just watched it again, just to give it another shot, before I hit the submit button. Now I'm laughing even harder.

"I WAS IN THE POOL.......I WAS IN THE POOL!"
-George Costanza

Phew, I am glad I am not the only one who thought so :eek: . I got most of the way through before giving up. I too won't get into the GW thing (honestly that played no part in my dislike for this). I personally have a very low opinion of Greenpeace, so you can now imagine why I hold this in such low regard......

Brian

This is so cool! What a bizarre (in a good way) vision. I love the frank and simple combination of human bodies and glacial body.

Even if they don't see the art in it, I hope the naysayers will at least try to appreciate the choice of beauty.

I'd be worried about getting attacked and killed at one of these events. I don't know -- I guess I get kind of paranoid every time I'm on a glacier.

-Dr. Wu

I'd be worried about getting attacked and killed at one of these events. I don't know -- I guess I get kind of paranoid every time I'm on a glacier.

-Dr. Wu
i completely understand. i had to deal with alot of naked people attacks while in alaska. it made this video hard to watch.

Something tells me the art of the artist is not that lame YouTube clip we just watched but something he will produce that we haven't yet seen (film, still photos, expose, whatever). Notice he was taking lots of still photos, too.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the final product. If that was the final product then I ask B for the last 1:45 of my life back :D

Something tells me the art of the artist is not that lame YouTube clip we just watched but something he will produce that we haven't yet seen (film, still photos, expose, whatever). Notice he was taking lots of still photos, too.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the final product. If that was the final product then I ask B for the last 1:45 of my life back :D

Check out his webpage:

http://www.spencertunick.com/

The Greenpeace Glacier shots are here:

http://www.artnet.com/usernet/awc/awc_thumbnail.asp?aid=425378777&gid=425378777&cid=172959&works_of_art=1

There are other webpages out there with his photos. We once saw a show that covered him while doing a photo shoot in Antartica - fascinating.

Last edited:

Latest posts