Conquering Mount Teide: Tips and Tales from Adventurers!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viewnathan

Reaction score
Mount Teide in Tenerife is calling my name for next year! Anyone conquered this beast before? I'm gearing up for my first attempt and would love to hear any advice. It seems like getting to the top requires a permit, but the scenery is described as absolutely stunning. This article on ascending Teide features a photo that gives you a sneak peek. Check it out: https://www.volcanoteide.com/en/complete-guide-on-how-to-get-up-mount-teide-peak

I did the hike a couple of years ago, and it was definitely no walk in the park. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time and stay hydrated. The permit process was easy as long as you planned ahead. You can get your permit from https://www.reservasparquesnacional.../usu/html/listado-actividades-oapn.aspx?cen=2 And also, you should take the cable car up.
Are there any other things you're going to do apart from hiking?

I've never come close to hiking it, but I did, for a while, think and read about doing so. The challenge, it seemed to me, would be dealing with change in oxygen levels. 12,000 feet isn't extraordinarily high, but you'd be going from just above sea level to 12,000 feet in a single hike. The change in oxygen level in a relatively short span of time should, I think, be noticeable, at least for some hikers.

An interesting aside: The first high-altitude astronomical (telescopic) observations were made from there, at about 10,000 feet, in 1856.

I did the hike a couple of years ago, and it was definitely no walk in the park. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time and stay hydrated. The permit process was easy as long as you planned ahead. You can get your permit from https://www.reservasparquesnacional.../usu/html/listado-actividades-oapn.aspx?cen=2 And also, you should take the cable car up.
Are there any other things you're going to do apart from hiking?
Thanks so much for the tips! Yeah, taking it slow and staying hydrated will definitely be important at that elevation. The permit process doesn't sound too difficult as long as I'm proactive about it. I'll be sure to check out that website. The cable car up does seem like a welcome alternative if things didn’t go as planned.

Aside from hiking to the top, I'm really looking forward to just taking in the amazing views from up high. I've heard the surrounding volcanic landscape is spectacular to see from Mount Teide. I'd also like to do some exploring around Tenerife outside of just the hike if time allows. The island seems gorgeous overall with lots of beautiful coastal scenery and landscapes. I would also love to relax in a natural hot spring but all I could find nearby is Costa Adeje which have amenities like pools, sauna, footbaths, Turkish bath, etc. Would you happen to know a place nearby where I could relax?

I've never come close to hiking it, but I did, for a while, think and read about doing so. The challenge, it seemed to me, would be dealing with change in oxygen levels. 12,000 feet isn't extraordinarily high, but you'd be going from just above sea level to 12,000 feet in a single hike. The change in oxygen level in a relatively short span of time should, I think, be noticeable, at least for some hikers.

An interesting aside: The first high-altitude astronomical (telescopic) observations were made from there, at about 10,000 feet, in 1856.
That's a really good point about the change in oxygen levels over such a short distance, @Cartophile. Ascending that high that quickly could definitely cause issues for some people. Thanks for the reminder about altitude sickness! I'll definitely be listening to my body and taking plenty of breaks to enjoy the views.

And that astronomy fact is super cool! Who knew Mount Teide was such an important spot for stargazers? I had no idea it played such an important role scientifically way back in 1856. Being able to view the night sky from that vantage point must have been incredible.

Thanks so much for the tips! Yeah, taking it slow and staying hydrated will definitely be important at that elevation. The permit process doesn't sound too difficult as long as I'm proactive about it. I'll be sure to check out that website. The cable car up does seem like a welcome alternative if things didn’t go as planned.

Aside from hiking to the top, I'm really looking forward to just taking in the amazing views from up high. I've heard the surrounding volcanic landscape is spectacular to see from Mount Teide. I'd also like to do some exploring around Tenerife outside of just the hike if time allows. The island seems gorgeous overall with lots of beautiful coastal scenery and landscapes. I would also love to relax in a natural hot spring but all I could find nearby is Costa Adeje which have amenities like pools, sauna, footbaths, Turkish bath, etc. Would you happen to know a place nearby where I could relax?
@viewnathan You can visit La Calera Natural Thermal Baths if you want a more rustic experience. It's about a 30-minute drive from Mount Teide. Or Maybe you could take a day tour of the Canary Islands.

@viewnathan You can visit La Calera Natural Thermal Baths if you want a more rustic experience. It's about a 30-minute drive from Mount Teide. Or Maybe you could take a day tour of the Canary Islands.
La Calera Natural Thermal Baths sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. A more natural, rustic setting would be nice compared to the amenities-focused Costa Adeje options. I appreciate you taking the time to provide that suggestion. A day tour of the Canary Islands could also be really interesting, so I’ll be sure to set aside time for that. I’m really considering getting the services of a local guide to save time in exploring Canary Islands. Did you traveled solo or with a local guide when you visited Tenerife a couple of years ago, @whoishere?

La Calera Natural Thermal Baths sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. A more natural, rustic setting would be nice compared to the amenities-focused Costa Adeje options. I appreciate you taking the time to provide that suggestion. A day tour of the Canary Islands could also be really interesting, so I’ll be sure to set aside time for that. I’m really considering getting the services of a local guide to save time in exploring Canary Islands. Did you traveled solo or with a local guide when you visited Tenerife a couple of years ago, @whoishere?
When I visited Tenerife, I actually hired a guide from https://gowithguide.com/spain, If you're thinking about having one, I'd definitely recommend Them.