Corey's Rd. Gate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'll be doing the Sewards this weekend (Nov 26-28). Does anyone know just who it is that makes the call on when to close the gate? What is their criteria for closing it?

Neil,

For years, it was the town. Not sure any longer. The plow couldn't make it over the narrow bridge, and when the snow got deep enough, that was the end of the game. They'd just plow the snow to right in front of the bridge until Spring melt came along.

Peakbagr,

Interesting. It never occurred to me that the plow wouldn't have been able to get across the narrow bridge. With the new bridge, which is much wider, I wonder if things will be different this winter.

John

i think with any seasonal road it will close on dec. 1...and reopen on apr. 1..
also, with the gate that will stop anyone from trying to get back there this winter...

i'm hoping that the town plows across the bridge to the designated parking lot by the gate... this will allow a more comfortable feeling when camping at the trailhead.... somtimes sara and i camp here when we are doing day trips on the weekend...

happy hiking...

Peakbagr said:
Neil,

For years, it was the town.
Would that be the town of Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake?