crampons for plastic boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Opinions on crampons wanted for koflach boots..
brand and step in vs strap ons...
I was told somewhere that if a step in breaks on a trail it's to hard to fix. Better off with straps,easier to fix. To be used for hiking only not ice climbing (as of now).

Oddly I have step in's for my leather boots and the newmatics (straps w/ a heel block, something of a cross between only straps and step ins). My take on this:

Strap ons are more fumbly and take more time and dexterity to put on and off, an issue in the cold. They will fit a larger variety of boots and a failure is less likely to be total. Step ins go on and off quickly but a failure is likely to be catastrophic. I've read mixed opinions as to how likely one or the other is come loose or undone.

I would go with a newmatic type binding, you'll get more use out of them as you upgrade/replace boots. When you buy them bring your boots and make sure they fit. I would go with strap only bindings if you think you'll be using pac boots with them, unlikely if you have plastics.

For an explanation on the variety of grivel bindings:

http://www.grivel.com/Products/tabella_binding.asp

I have had good luck using a step-in with Koflach plastic boot...though with a different plastic boot they fell off constantly.
Even with the step-ins you may still find yourself fiddling with them.. lining them up just right etc.
One of the main things is to be sure to clean out the grove in the toe of the boot to get the bail seated nice and snug. Often it is filled up with packed snow or ice depending on conditions.
I carry an ice axe and many a time I have used it to clean up the boot of mine as well as that of friends with it. (sometimes it seems like trying to shoe a horse as we balance each other with foot in hand.)
So axe or not I would keep something handy for that purpose.
good luck..spdr

Last edited:
I'll go along with Warren on this one, for the same reasons. My Grivel New Classic G-10's fit well on my Koflach's, Asolo's and Molitor's.

If you have any problems in the field, duct tape can be temporary fix. This is by no means totally secure, but MAY BE better than no crampons in a total failure if you can secure them reasonably well. If that does happen, it's time to turn around.

Spencer,

You are so handy . . . that is pretty cool . . .

I have the new-matic bindings on m y Grivel G-12s also and I really like them, they cut out some of the straps fumbling while still giving me the security of having the strap for the front so they won't easily fall off.

If I had to do it again, I would still get the new-matics . . .

sli74

I think I would have liked the New Matics better if the strap had been longer. I wear pretty big boots and have the crampons about maxed out. The strap was only long enough to just barely get it through and double-backed on the buckle. that meant it was very difficult with gloves on or cold hands.

Of course, I could've put a longer strap on, but it's an odd size and what I did was more fun. I was mostly motivated b/c I wanted them to fit my ski boots.

spencer

I bought my step-ins before the New-matic system arrived and they've served me well. I've never had them fall off, and there's no fiddling needed. If they are only for plastic boots, and you plan on keeping those boots for a while, I'd go with full step-ins.

But I've never tried the other type.

-dave-

I vote for step-ins...

especially if you really do have cold feet! You can do all the adjusting and fitting etc when you're home (and warm) so when on the trail they should stay secure and there is no fumbling in the cold...of course the downside is that you can only use the step ins for the exact pair of plastics that you've fitted them too. Still, I've been really happy with the steps ins, and never think twice about them once they are on...