Crane and Hadley Mountains

• Thread starter MountainVisions
  • Start date
vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MountainVisions

Date of Hike: 2/27/2011

Trail Conditions: Both trails were packed powder, minimal ice! I did the upper loop on Crane which was quite a bit less packed with the fresh 3in of snowfall. I was the last hiker on Hadley out of 3 (??) groups, so it was well packed, I went to the true summit past the fire tower to stretch the hike out a bit.

Off trail the southern ADK easily have 2 times the snow of the High Peaks as of last weekend. I cut a few switchbacks and/or bushwhacked sections of the descent, and at times was mid thigh to almost waist deep in snow. Usually unpacked snow offers a faster descent but I was often bogged down in the deep stuff, a rarity the last few years!

Special Equipment Required: Though not legally required, snowshoes should be worn to protect the snowpack. Someone bare booted down Hadley, and there was some post holing in sections on the ridge and lower descent. Thankfull, not too bad though.

Comments: I was super impressed some group skied down Hadley, I know it's doable and done often in good conditions, but at least one skier jumped off a 10+ foot cliff while skiing through the trees. Wish I could have seen that!

Should have a trip report/photos up at http://mountainvisions.blogspot.com shortly.