DEC issues back country warning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lake Placid forecast calls for very warm weather (45F) and rain on Wednesday followed by a drop in the temperature overnight (18) and down to 0 the next night. Interesting.

I can visualize breaking through 1cm thick ice and sending large, jagged windowpanes of ice sliding and careening at high speeds downslope to intercept other climbers.

Or being one of those climbers. :eek:

"Glass containers are no longer allowed anywhere in the HPW."

"Dogs and other pets must be leashed at all times."

This past summer climbers have been ticketed by Rangers for drinking beer in a glass container on a summit and for temporary abandoning their dogs tied to a lower altitude ladder! Actually one day a hiker was ticketed for both on Basin Mountain. Therefore we can expect the 8" snowshoe rule to be strictly applied this coming winter.

Winter is Now

The 8" snow depth rule for snowshoes is currently applicable above about 3000-3500 feet. In some places, there are 8" of cover at lower elevations.

All climbers hoping to summit a 4000 foot peak should have snowshoes NOW. On some mountains and at lower elevations (for example trail to Marcy Dam is an ice sheet in places), traction aids are also needed (Stabilicers, Microspikes, or crampons).

No global warming this year in the High Peaks, unless conditions change a lot!

I was all in agreement with the DEC warning and recommendations until this: "Carry a day pack with an ice axe". Who wrote that piece of... info? Very few winter hikers carry, or need, an ice axe in the Adirondacks. I hope I don't get a ticket for that! ;)

I was all in agreement with the DEC warning and recommendations until this: "Carry a day pack with an ice axe". Who wrote that piece of... info? Very few winter hikers carry, or need, an ice axe in the Adirondacks. I hope I don't get a ticket for that! ;)
Putting sun glasses and sun block in that list seems kind of odd as well. :confused:

And have they ever heard of poly-pro or other 'modern' materials? :D

So much to remember now... 8 inches of snow, dog on 6-foot lead, designated sites, no glass, no fires, day pack... ice axe...... I'm moving to New Hampshire!

lost hiker

Couldn't help but notice the mention of that poor individual who spent two nights in the hills before being discovered by the rangers. That person must be pretty tough. Two nights in the winter without proper equipment, wow!

The Press Republican article mentions medical treatment. Are there any more details about this incident?

I think it was this guy on Thanksgiving weekend

Couldn't help but notice the mention of that poor individual who spent two nights in the hills before being discovered by the rangers. That person must be pretty tough. Two nights in the winter without proper equipment, wow!

The Press Republican article mentions medical treatment. Are there any more details about this incident?

http://www.news8.net/news/stories/1208/574915.html

Winchell says they planned to summit Marcy, hike down the opposite side of the mountain and spend the night at the Feldspar lean-to. But Robertson reportedly hiked a significant distance ahead of the others in the group.

<snip>

They reached the junction with the Phelps Trail, about half a mile below the summit, and encountered another group of hikers coming down Mt. Marcy who said they had seen Robertson at the summit. Due to poor weather conditions they decided not to continue up the mountain and instead took the Phelps Trail down to Slant Rock lean-to where they spent the night.

On Sunday morning, Winchell says, Robertson's friends hiked out to Johns Brook Lodge and took a taxi back to Adirondack Loj, where they expected to meet up with Robertson. But he wasn't there and none of the other members of the party had seen him.

It looks like this group made every error in the book! I haven't seen any follow up about the extent of his medical problems/frostbite.

The use of snowshoes or skis is required on trails in the Eastern High Peaks and strongly encouraged on all other trails in the Adirondacks.

I assume this was a Press Republican mistake, not a DEC one, if not, then the DEC doesn't know it's own rules. The 8" snowshoe rule applies to both the western and eastern high peaks, if the post on another forum by Rhihn means anything.

The article mentions only the Eastern High Peaks...

Jay

The last few winters, I have noticed that the 8" rule is more strickly applied where trails are used by skiers as well.

Actually once last year, in late November, upon leaving the lodge with the shoes on our back as the trail to Marcy dam appeared to us to be as hard as cement and with much less than 8" of snow on the ground the Ranger insisted that we wear our snowshoes to keep a nice trail for the skiers.

The last few winters, I have noticed that the 8" rule is more strickly applied where trails are used by skiers as well.

Actually once last year, in late November, upon leaving the lodge with the shoes on our back as the trail to Marcy dam appeared to us to be as hard as cement and with much less than 8" of snow on the ground the Ranger insisted that we wear our snowshoes to keep a nice trail for the skiers.

I've been in this situation and I have mixed feelings about it.

I feel stupid as everyone passes by me in crampons, icewalkers or bare boots, as I trudge along, following the rules, in my snow shoes .

I'm mad because the others are not following the rules.

Frustrated because I understand the meaning of the rules but will be penalized if I use my best judgment in a situation where the rules are dumb.

So what do you do?

"So what do you do? "

Well, that day after pounding the cement for a few minutes we shamelessly turned back, took our car to the parking near the Loj and walked the "old" trail to the Algonquin Marcy Dam trails intersection and ended that day with another 25 climbers (all wearing crampons or stabilicers) on Phelps because the snow cover was much too thin to wear snowshoes without pain for our old joints and our snowshoes.

I've been in this situation and I have mixed feelings about it.

I feel stupid as everyone passes by me in crampons, icewalkers or bare boots, as I trudge along, following the rules, in my snow shoes .

I'm mad because the others are not following the rules.

Frustrated because I understand the meaning of the rules but will be penalized if I use my best judgment in a situation where the rules are dumb.

So what do you do?

I think it depends on the Ranger as well. I've had experiences with some Rangers who use more common sense, and understand that some rules aren't absolute and that conditions come into play as well. I wish they were all as open minded about enforcing and such.

It does depend on the Ranger and that makes it even more frustrating and :mad:.

What do some of you other folks do?

Last edited:
I think it depends on the Ranger as well. I've had experiences with some Rangers who use more common sense, and understand that some rules aren't absolute and that conditions come into play as well. I wish they were all as open minded about enforcing and such.

This thread on ADKHPs is a LONG (and controversial) discussion about the same subject. It has an analog on ADKFORUM