DEC to announce trail reopenings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
DEC expects to announce today what trails can be reopened. Spokesman Dave Winchell told me this morning that the trailheads along Route 73 between Malfunction Junction and St. Huberts will remain closed until the highway reopens. This includes the AMR trails.

Read my latest post here.

As reported earlier, ADK hopes to reopen Adirondak Loj and Johns Brook Lodge tomorrow. They're expecting that some trails around both facilities will be opened.

DEC postpones announcement

Because of heavy rains hitting the state, DEC postponed its announcement reopening some trails. Now I'm told it will be Thursday.

Well, since tomorrow is Thursday, I'd say everybody is right:

"AREA OPENINGS: The EASTERN ZONE of the HIGH PEAKS WILDERNESS and GIANT MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS will be reopened effective Thursday, September 8. Due to the amount of damage to certain trails, and the continued closure of a section of Route 73 and other roads, DIX MOUNTAIN WILDERNESS and a number of trails in the reopened areas will remain closed. However, the majority of trails are now open for public recreation."

List of reopening trails

DEC postponed issuing a news release, but did send out an advisory to some parties, including ADK. The advisory is on DEC letterhead, so it appears legit. DEC was afraid the heavy rains would affect some trails. I think the bigger concern was in the Catskills. In any event, I just posted a blog with the list. You can read it here.

Sorry for any confusion.

Well, since tomorrow is Thursday, I'd say everybody is right:

The ADK site says they will be open tomorrow. Phil, is saying an announcement was going to be made today but was pushed back until tomorrow. Them saying they will make an announcement tomorrow and the idea that the trails are open tomorrow morning are two different things. Getting to a trailhead that is closed after a long drive in the morning would suck.

DEC postponed issuing a news release, but did send out an advisory to some parties, including ADK. The advisory is on DEC letterhead, so it appears legit. DEC was afraid the heavy rains would affect some trails. I think the bigger concern was in the Catskills. In any event, I just posted a blog with the list. You can read it here.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks, Phil.

It has been raining all day, which adds to the almost 3 inches we received the previous 24H. Rivers and brooks are getting uncomfortably high again.

PS: Rooster Comb parking lot is full of machinery equipment as are many others. Travelling along Route 9 be prepared to be patient, some of the temporary lights flash red on both sides/ends creating lots of confusion... and very long line-ups.
I agree, I can't see why after being closed due to major flooding you would then open it the day after two days of rain for a Thursday. Giving it 24 hours to come back down and open on Friday seems more logical but maybe thats why I'm not in charge.

The ADK site says they will be open tomorrow. Phil, is saying an announcement was going to be made today but was pushed back until tomorrow. Them saying they will make an announcement tomorrow and the idea that the trails are open tomorrow morning are two different things. Getting to a trailhead that is closed after a long drive in the morning would suck.

Ah, yes. No more posting after my nightly mug of wine.

Other than that, I have tomorrow off but am working Friday through Sunday. As badly as I want to get on one of those new slides, I also don't want to drown after all the rain of the last couple of days. I guess there will be no "Puma's Tail" slide after all. :(

Anyway, good luck to everyone who gets out there this weekend!

Map of trails open and closed

Sorry for confusion about which trails will reopen. DEC issued an advisory but hasn't updated its website. I have obtained a map showing which trails will be open and which will remain closed. I inserted it in my earlier post. For your convenience, I will post the link again. I also updated the text of the post.

Here is the link.

Now it's time for dinner.

Sorry for confusion about which trails will reopen. DEC issued an advisory but hasn't updated its website. I have obtained a map showing which trails will be open and which will remain closed. I inserted it in my earlier post. For your convenience, I will post the link again. I also updated the text of the post.

Here is the link.

Now it's time for dinner.
You are putting in a lot of time so let me point out some reference points that are confusing on that map:

There is two "Vanderwhacker Mtn" areas on the map. The one to the right (and right side of Upper Works) is the North River range just to the South/Southwest of Allen.

The Vanderwhacker to the bottom left corner is the Santanoni preserve and Lake Harris area.

The Vanderwhacker Moutain Wild Forest runs mostly along both sides of 28N where is runs South and includes those two areas but thinking of them as where Vanderwhacker mountain is will throw you completely off.

Of the "and some others" list of trails that will remain closed one appears to be the Orebed trail running up to the Saddleback/ Gothics col from the JBL area.

Last edited:
And last I looked it was still raining heavily in the Catskills and the ADKs! :eek: And then there is Katia, Maria, and Nate still spinning around...