Directions from Boston to Gathering 7.0 - comments/corrections welcomed!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Here is what I've gathered from the number of posts (Teejay, Tom, Mark. Imarchant) regarding how best to drive from Boston.

Comments and corrections are welcome!

From Boston:
1) Take the Mass Pike (RT-90) 143 miles to exit number B2 for the Taconic Parkway headed South.
2) Go about 36 miles on the Taconic Parkway to RT-199 W ramp toward Red Hook/Rhinebeck
3) Follow RT-199 for about 3.5 miles to the Fork in the Road at Rock City
4) Take a LEFT onto Rt 308 for about 4 miles.
5) Take a LEFT onto ramp for Rt 9G North for 2.7 miles
6) Take a LEFT onto Rt 199 (2nd Light) to the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge
7) Go over the Bridge and continue straight. When you cross the county line this road becomes rt. 209, but it is the same road
8) About the 4th exit, take RT-28 WEST for about 25 miles (Note it is about 22.25 miles after you cross the Thruway (I-87)).
9) When you see a big sign on the right for Phoenicia stay on Rt. 28 West (not the right fork into Phoenicia).
10) Continue on Rt. 28 over the bridge to the Inn on the left (can't remember its name) turn LEFT at the Woodland Valley Campground sign
11) Cross another bridge and go right. This is Woodland Valley Road. Hide-A-Way is on the right, #900, about 3.3 miles from Rt. 28.
12) Park and crack open a beer.

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
12) Park and crack open a beer.

Boy, these directions sure beat the ones I usually get from Mapquest. I'm going to start sending my origin and destination locations to Sherpa when I want directions.

I'm sorry I won't be able to make the Gathering this time around, but I wish you all the best of times.

spencer

3) I think that should be Red Hook not Red Rock....

6)I'm sure it's a typo but it is Kingston-Rhinecliff

8)My post below on directions, I've actually clocked it in my car to be just about 22.25 miles from the NYS Thruway (aka I-87) so if you're on Rt 28 West, once you cross the Thruway and go through the Rotary (roudabout, circle, etc)...it's 22.25 miles from there, give or take 500ft.

10) Look for small dark letters on a yellow background. Not hard to miss, but the Phoenicia sign is almost impossible to miss and once you see that Phoenicia sign, it's real real close. slow down now.

(also, be careful of your speed going on Rt 28west west of I-87 (aka the Thruway) when it is two lanes. Parts of it is 45mph and I see a lot of cops there). When it goes down to one lane by the Ashokan res. I don't see as many cops, but they like to ticket folks coming off the Thruway and going highway speeds...)

Of course, worst case scnenario you can always if you ever get lost is go west til you hit the thurway. Kingston and Rt 28 is exit 19 so if you're above 19, then you need to go south or if you're below 19 you need to go north because the exits go up as you go north....

Jay

Jay,
It IS Red ROCK, not Red HOOK (I had that right).

I corrected the typo on Kingston - thx.

Spencer: With Mapquest you have to have the beer first. I found that out when they sent me SOUTH on Rt 100 on my way to Lincoln Notch Road last fall.

SherpaKroto said:
Jay,
It IS Red ROCK, not Red HOOK (I had that right).

I corrected the typo on Kingston - thx.

Spencer: With Mapquest you have to have the beer first. I found that out when they sent me SOUTH on Rt 100 on my way to Lincoln Notch Road last fall.
No, The town of Red Hook is correct. The fork in the road is actually at Rock City, Wich is a small hamlet, that is part of Red Hook

No problem SherpaK!

You won't be going through the rotary unless you take 87, but it's about the same distance on Rt 28 from 209.

Oops, I forgot, I'm always coming from I-87 as I'm coming from NJ. The only time I'm not is if I'm going out far west, like say to Balsam Lake or Vly/Bearpen and then I might take Rt 17 west and then north.

Jay

Revised directions:

1) Head west on turnpike. Stop for coffee somewhere west of Connecticut River. Ask directions to NY. Ask cute young waitress at coffee shop if she'd like to go hiking. Buy ice for bruised ego.

2) Continue west on turnpike. Get off at Lenox and get gas and directions toward the Hudson River. Ask attractive moonlighting soccer mom attendent if she'd like to go hiking. Pick up the pieces and move on.

Here's where I take a scenic turn.

3) Head south on route 7 and then go west past Bash Bish Falls. This takes you through scenic countryside and near some wineries. Stop to pick up a local red ... yeah right ... well, a dark shade of pink ... and, after asking directions to the next mountains, invite pleasant matronly wine stewardess if she'd like to go hiking. Wipe wine samples off face and shirt and go right at next intersection.

4) Stop at Chamber of Commerce tourist information center and ask directions to the Catskills. Ask ... naw ... forget about it and head west.

5) Get out a map and Sherpa's directions and find Gathering.

Who says guys don't ask for directions?

On a more serious note ...

After studying Delorme I thought I'd take the following route and would appreciate any thoughts. Keep in mind however, I'll being doing this in broad daylight with my trusty navigator, Erik, and his eagle eye for signs and turns and that, given a choice, I'd take any unpaved logging road devoid of utility poles and other signs of civilization to get to any destination.

I'd exit Mass Pike at Lee, head west on 102 to rt. 7 south, head west on rt. 23, crossing the Hudson at Greenport/Catskill to rts. 23A, then 214 where hopefully we'll arrive early enough to hike Hunter via Becker Hollow Trail (and still make camp befor sunset and catch happy hour). Then resume driving south on 214 through Phoenicia to rt. 28 and look out for Woodland Valley Rd.

Stan, I have travelled all of that route at various times and it probably will neither save nor cost you any time. It is scenic and pleasant, so go for it. Going through Great Barrington can seem a little slow, but it's usually not bad. There are nice views of the Catskills going over the Hudson on the Rip Van Winkle Bridge if the clouds cooperate. There is some construction through the village of Catskill on Routes 9W/23A, but rarely is there any delay. Between Haines Falls and Tannersville there is also some construction with an occasion lane closure, minimal delay. Earlier in the summer one of the bridges on 214 north of the Becker Hollow trailhead was down to one lane, but that construction may be done now. Enjoy the Becker Hollow trail, one of my favorites: short, sweet and steep. Make sure you take in the short unmarked path opposite the top of the Becker Hollow trail. There is a fine view, as nice as the fire tower views IMHO.

Dumb question - why leave 199 for 308 and 9G only to get back on 199 again?

Sherpa is right, 199 goes through the village of Red Hook and may cost you 1-2 minutes vs. 308/9G. Alternatively since there is a traffic light at "the fork in the road" you might get that time back by staying on 199 (by going right on a red light). It really is a wash in my book. If a slow vehicle is in front of me when I get to the "fork in the road", I take the road not taken (by the slow vehicle).