Dividend time - etrex H ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
I have a small REI dividend to spend. What does everyone think of the etrex H? It's the low end Garmin GPS. All it does is coordinates and no maps but I think that may be all I need. I mainly want it for tracking routes so I can backtrack, or find my way above treeline.

I currently have a Garmin 60C but it shuts off after a few minutes even with new batteries. I don't think Garmin will take it back and fix it, plus it has the older chipset that loses signal easily.

Are maps a big deal? The Topos that came with my 60C had such low detail they didn't really matter.

If the the eTrex doesn't have the SirF chipset, won't its signal acquistion and retention will be the same as the 60C?

On the battery problem - are you using Lithiums?

I'm using Alkaline batteries in it now.

I believe the H-series of garmin GPS's use a "MediaTek (MTK) chipset"? That's what I found searching around.

I have an older Etrex with no mapping function. I usually carry it as a back-up to use in conjunction with my map. It works great for that.

As Doug said, check your batteries. I use NiMH, and thought my batteries were dying (they were 5-8 years old, and re-charged a zillion times) so I bought new batteries. This coincided with the purchase a new GPS. The battery life was rather disappointing, and then it dawned on me that maybe it was the charger. Sure enough, the charger was slowly going kaput (a technical term) and when I replaced it, battery life was great, even with the old beasties.

Also - not to burst your bubble, but I don't think you can use the dividend to buy a GPS. I think it's one of the excluded items. If it is, and you can wait until July or so, you can ask REI to send you a check perhaps buy it then.

I'll swap some batteries around and see if it makes a difference. I can always use an excuse to not spend more money. :)

I switched to a different brand of batteries and it seems to be working now! It's an alkaline battery like the other one, but it doesn't randomly shut off now. The battery meter says it has a full charge with both sets of batteries. I'm not sure what it could be then... At least it's working, although it would be nice to get something with the higher sensitivity chipset.

Mongoose said:
I switched to a different brand of batteries and it seems to be working now! It's an alkaline battery like the other one, but it doesn't randomly shut off now. The battery meter says it has a full charge with both sets of batteries. I'm not sure what it could be then... At least it's working, although it would be nice to get something with the higher sensitivity chipset.
Some of the Garmin GPSes have had a problem with weak battery contacts. Bouncing the GPS around causes a momentary disconnect and a shut-down. The fix is to put a bit of tape on the battery or in the battery well so the battery fits tightly enough that it will not bounce around.

In the above case, one set of batteries might be a bit larger in diameter and have a firmer fit.

Doug

Now I'm thinking of ebaying this 60C and using the money towards a new high sensitivity GPS. I'm looking at the eTrex Venture HC and the Vista HCx. The compass on the HCx could be helpful in orienting where to go.

I know the 60CSx is popular here but I don't need a lot of mapping features. With my 60C I almost never used the map. I preplanned my routes at home on my PC and used the route while hiking. I have an automotive GPS to handle driving. Maybe the Venture HC is the best option then.

Mongoose said:
Now I'm thinking of ebaying this 60C and using the money towards a new high sensitivity GPS. I'm looking at the eTrex Venture HC and the Vista HCx. The compass on the HCx could be helpful in orienting where to go.

I know the 60CSx is popular here but I don't need a lot of mapping features. With my 60C I almost never used the map. I preplanned my routes at home on my PC and used the route while hiking. I have an automotive GPS to handle driving. Maybe the Venture HC is the best option then.
FWIW, I'm strongly in favor of mapping GPSes. I almost never handle lat and lon numbers directly--I just use the graphical interfaces (computer and GPS). If you are in a bad situation (eg lost off trail above timberline with low visibility and howling wind plus fatigued), the ease of use could make the difference between your being able to use it and not.

Doug

Mongoose said:

Hi Mongoose,

Why not the Venture HCx ?High sensitivity antenna , robust and light.Venture HCx battery life is 25 hours, as long as you behave yourself with it.

I will be doing the Pyrenees this September. Have to pack ultralight...My Magellan friend but battery drainer stays home.:eek:

Electronic compass ? I think you are better off with a real compass that never needs batteries. The base moving compass and estimated altitude indicator work fine , for my needs.But if you have the extra bucks....

I agree with Doug on the mapping.Fun factor with ..with a high quality internal 24K map.

Maddy said:
This site states that the HC picks up better than the Cx
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/08/venture-hc-revi.html
This is old news--the H stands for "high sensitivity". The H units appear to be similar in sensitivity to the 60CSx/76CSx (which use the SiRF Star III GPS chipset).

I wouldn't even consider any of the non-high sensitivity or SiRF Star III (the first of the high sensitivity chipsets) units. The difference is dramatic and can easily make the difference between a fix and not if you have a poor skyview.

Doug

Last edited:
Shardik said:
Electronic compass ? I think you are better off with a real compass that never needs batteries. The base moving compass and estimated altitude indicator work fine , for my needs.But if you have the extra bucks....
IMO, the electronic compass isn't that great. (You could consider it a backup for your mechanical compass.) However, the compass is packaged with a barometric altimeter which, IMO, is worth the price. When used with autocalibration, the altimeter is usually within 10 ft.

I agree with Doug on the mapping.Fun factor with ..with a high quality internal 24K map.
Certainly the mapping is fun, but IMO there are times when it can save your tail. It also greatly reduces the chance of an error from typing in an incorrect number.

Doug

Shardik:
Venture HCx? I can't find that one anywhere?

Doug:
Are you saying the SiRF Star III isn't as sensitive as the current chipsets? I thought that was one of the best?

Mongoose said:
Doug:
Are you saying the SiRF Star III isn't as sensitive as the current chipsets? I thought that was one of the best?
No I am not--it is one of the best.

The SiRF Star III was the original high sensitivity chipset. The newer ones (MediaTek MT3 and Garmin internal) used in the Garmin H series and Colorado GPSes appear to have similar performance.

Current Garmin mapping handheld GPS models: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
(Of these, I would only consider the *CSx, H series, or Colorado models.)

Doug

Last edited:
Mongoose said:
Shardik:
Venture HCx? I can't find that one anywhere?
Sorry,Mongoose I guess I got a little excited :eek: when I saw your post.
Its actually the Legend HCx.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8701
Picked it up in Montreal for 219.CAD
VERY happy with it.After many hours of use , original batteries at full power.Now loaded with 430Megabytes of Europe,Hawaii,and NE Topos.

DougPaul said:
IMO, the electronic compass isn't that great. (You could consider it a backup for your mechanical compass.) However, the compass is packaged with a barometric altimeter which, IMO, is worth the price. When used with autocalibration, the altimeter is usually within 10 ft.

Certainly the mapping is fun, but IMO there are times when it can save your tail. It also greatly reduces the chance of an error from typing in an incorrect number.

Doug
Doug,

The higher end Vista had both accessories for another fifty dollars..I will be doing the GR10,11 and HRP and didn't want to be concerned about pressure adjustments.(Wasn't aware about the auto calibration)

You are absolutely right about the number..could be a big disaster. I use the UTM system.Easy to type in a wrong digit and find yourself in a bad position.
Happened just last week.My mountain had two summits on my GPS ,but only one in reality.But I recognized the gross error ,and no harm was done.

Last edited:
Shardik said:
The higher end Vista had both accessories for another fifty dollars..I will be doing the GR10,11 and HRP and didn't want to be concerned about pressure adjustments.(Wasn't aware about the auto calibration)
The auto calibration is very nice. You just turn the GPS on and within 1/2 hour or so, the readings are very accurate. And it keeps compensating if you leave it on during the day. The only problem is that if you take it in a pressurized airplane, you get the cabin pressure altitude, not the aircraft altitude.

You can still read out the GPS altitude, but it takes several button presses.

You are absolutely right about the number..could be a big disaster.
And the more you need the GPS (ie the worse the situation), the more likely you are to make an error and not notice it. The topo maps on the GPS (even the 100K scale ones) are good enough that you can transfer your location between the GPS and your map by inspection.

Doug

Sorry. I did not mean to post " old news" so the post has been deleted. This is all new to me and I am also looking to purchase a new GPS so all your contributions on the subject are very valuable to me. Keep 'em comin'!

Maddy said:
Sorry. I did not mean to post " old news" so the post has been deleted. This is all new to me and I am also looking to purchase a new GPS so all your contributions on the subject are very valuable to me. Keep 'em comin'!

Hi Maddy,

I'm a new poster , here, but have been hiking and on internet boards for a while.I like gadgets.Can usually be seen around Montreal with my Blackberry running Google maps and Trimble software.

I wanted something lightweight , with a map, under six ounces, with high sensitivity.

Garmin Geco and Foretrex are cute, but have no map.Their battery story, isn't so hot either. I looked into the watch type GPS, but , Maddy, I tend to break small objects with my delicate :rolleyes: moves.

The GPSMAP 60CSx , in my books, is the big winner...but I needed ultralight.
Battery life seems to be 18 hours , against the E-trex Legend HCx 25 hours. There is also another GPSMAP 60 ,with long battery life, but it doesn't have a high sensitivity antenna.Now I can bring less batteries , and won't have to drill my toothbrush. :D

The Colorados , seem interesting, but again the weight and battery power don't beat the little e-trex.You should have a look at these Colorado Models,Maddy,the screen display is interesting.Read up a bit though, they have had some issues with them , and I'm not sure if the bugs are all worked out.

In retrospect, now, I may return the Legend HCx for the Vista HCx, if the pressure settings are automatic.I don't like adjusting these things with frozen fingers.

Maddy said:
No problem--you needn't have deleted the post. Not everyone can keep up with the latest and greatest of everything. Perhaps I should have been gentler than calling it "old news".

Doug