Dividend time - etrex H ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shardik said:
The GPSMAP 60CSx , in my books, is the big winner...but I needed ultralight.
Battery life seems to be 18 hours , against the E-trex Legend HCx 25 hours. There is also another GPSMAP 60 ,with long battery life, but it doesn't have a high sensitivity antenna.Now I can bring less batteries , and won't have to drill my toothbrush. :D
Lithium batteries are very light, if you don't mind paying for them. And you can get weeks to months of battery life if you simply turn it on, get a fix and any necessary compass bearings, and turn it off. (Recording a track, however, requires leaving the GPS on.)

The Colorados , seem interesting, but again the weight and battery power don't beat the little e-trex.You should have a look at these Colorado Models,Maddy,the screen display is interesting.Read up a bit though, they have had some issues with them , and I'm not sure if the bugs are all worked out.
There are some new features along with a new price. There is already a thread on the topic which describes some of the new features and has a link to a nice review. I have a 60CSx, not worth the price to upgrade for me.

In retrospect, now, I may return the Legend HCx for the Vista HCx, if the pressure settings are automatic.I don't like adjusting these things with frozen fingers.
I have a 60CSx and am very happy with it. It gets my recommendation. It also includes some nice features if you wish to use it while driving. (Obscure trail heads can be much easier to find with a GPS. Navigation for regular driving can be easier too... :) )

Doug

So many decisions... I'm narrowing it down to the Vista HCx and the Legend HCx. The Venture HC only has 24M of memory which looks like it will barely fit all the maps I'll use, especially with the 24k topos.

I like the controls on the 60CSx based on the 60C I have now, but I can't justify spending an extra $100-$150 for them.

DougPaul said:
Lithium batteries are very light, if you don't mind paying for them. And you can get weeks to months of battery life if you simply turn it on, get a fix and any necessary compass bearings, and turn it off. (Recording a track, however, requires leaving the GPS on.)

I have a 60CSx and am very happy with it. It gets my recommendation. It also includes some nice features if you wish to use it while driving. (Obscure trail heads can be much easier to find with a GPS. Navigation for regular driving can be easier too... :) )

Doug

Thanks,Doug...but now I want one.. :eek:..hmmm another two ounces...better get the drill back out... :D

Mongoose said:
So many decisions... I'm narrowing it down to the Vista HCx and the Legend HCx. The Venture HC only has 24M of memory which looks like it will barely fit all the maps I'll use, especially with the 24k topos.

I like the controls on the 60CSx based on the 60C I have now, but I can't justify spending an extra $100-$150 for them.

Absolutely,Mongoose 24 Meg won't last long.Get a 2 Gig card :)

Just read my manual for the etrex HC Series (Includes the Vista and Legend)
Info here:http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf
I quote:
Calibrate Altimeter
If you know the correct elevation for your location, increase accuracy by using the Calibrate Altimeter option.

Sorry folks , but WTF ? If you are doing multiple summits and valleys ...
:confused: You may want to check this out ,Mongoose, in case it doesn't use the same system as the 60CSx.

So, for the bucks I would stay with the Legend HCx and if I had extra cash, I would go with the GPSMAP 60CSx along with lithium batteries.

Kevin Rooney said:
Also - not to burst your bubble, but I don't think you can use the dividend to buy a GPS. I think it's one of the excluded items. If it is, and you can wait until July or so, you can ask REI to send you a check perhaps buy it then.

This was already discussed in my thread

You can't use the 20% coupon (memdeal) on GPS's, though I don't think there is any problem using the Dividend on GPSs.

Jay

I come back to these three models as well:

Garmin 60CSx $428
eTrex Vista HCx $321
eTrex Legend HCx $267

From what I can see in comparing the units on their site, there is little difference between them.

The 60CSx differs from the Vista in that it is a bit heavier, the screen is a little bigger, a bit less battery life, it comes with the approx $20 memory card, and can use a serial port as well as a USB.

The Vista is a step above the Legend in that it has the electronic compass (not a huge plus in my book) and the barometric altimeter.

Is it worth $54 for the altimeter to step up from the Legend to the Vista? I tend to think yes because that seems like a reasonable price for a barometric altimeter. Also, I've been on a few 'whacks where an altimeter proved useful in pinpointing our location more accurately.

But for another $100 - the differences between the 60CSx and the Vista HCx seem quite small. Am I missing something?

Dugan said:
Garmin 60CSx $428
eTrex Vista HCx $321
eTrex Legend HCx $267
Those are Garmin list prices. In about 2 minutes of searching, I found a price below $300 for the 60CSx.

From what I can see in comparing the units on their site, there is little difference between them.

The 60CSx differs from the Vista in that it is a bit heavier, the screen is a little bigger, a bit less battery life, it comes with the approx $20 memory card, and can use a serial port as well as a USB.

The Vista is a step above the Legend in that it has the electronic compass (not a huge plus in my book) and the barometric altimeter.

Is it worth $54 for the altimeter to step up from the Legend to the Vista? I tend to think yes because that seems like a reasonable price for a barometric altimeter. Also, I've been on a few 'whacks where an altimeter proved useful in pinpointing our location more accurately.
I don't use the compass, but IMO the barometric altimeter is worth the cost. Usually within ~10 ft when calibrated (which can be done automatically from the GPS) and it continues to work even when signals are blocked.

Also, with the GPS you will be able to pinpoint your location even without knowing your altitude...

But for another $100 - the differences between the 60CSx and the Vista HCx seem quite small. Am I missing something?

The 60CSx not only has an RS232 port, it also has an external antenna port, which can be useful in poor signal locations or if you want maximum accuracy for mapping etc. There have been some problems with the rubber gasket (surrounding the unit) on the earlier eTrexes. The construction of the Vista HCx looks like the construction is similar. (No such problems have been reported with the 60CSx.) The 60CSx also has a beeper which is very useful for signaling upcoming turns--my eTrex Vista is silent. (Don't know if the Vista HCx has a beeper.) There have also been reliability problems with the click stick on the older eTrexes--don't know if this has been improved for the newer models.

With either model, you are going to want a bigger microSD card--2GB (max size known to work) costs under $30.

The info on the Garmin website is a bit sparse for detailed comparisons. You can download the manuals for both from the website if you want to look in more detail.

FWIW, I bought a 60CSx before the Vista HCx became available. If I lost it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same again.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and clarification. We'd wondered if part of the increased price was better construction and/or components.

I see that an external antenna is available, both for auto and trail use. Have you had a need for either of them?

Dugan said:
Thanks for your help and clarification. We'd wondered if part of the increased price was better construction and/or components.
Dunno...
The 60CSx uses the SiRF StarIII GPS chipset while the Vista HCx uses the cheaper MediaTek MT3 GPS chipset.

I see that an external antenna is available, both for auto and trail use. Have you had a need for either of them?
I wouldn't rush out and buy one for hiking. Don't forget that it has a wire to tangle and kink... They are only needed with the 60CSx when conditions are particularly bad (eg in a car with a metalized windshield) or you need the highest accuracy (eg when mapping a trail). So far, I've only used mine with my 60CSx when mapping a trail.

Doug

Dugan -

I pondered the same decision - Vista HCX vs 60CSx - a few months ago, and finally opted for the 60CSx because a) the screen was slightly bigger and b) because Doug had said some users of the older Vistas (and perhaps other models with the joystick) had reported problems with the stick. I'd used an older Vista for years, and never had any problems with it, but ...

Anyway, after using the 60CSx for about 3 months on a weekly basis - did I make the right decision, at least for me? Not exactly certain - yes, the screen is a bit larger, but ... it's also quite a bit heavier and feels clunkier than a Vista, and flails around a bit whenever I don my pack (I mount in on my left chest strap). I do like the clip that comes with it, and don't think that arrangement is available on the Vista. The lanyard was too short, but I swapped around lanyards with other toys so that wasn't an issue. I didn't find the software interface much different than the Vista - the transition was rather painless, as it's pretty close to the older models. I mean, after all - there are only just so many things a GPS can do.

If I had to replace it tomorrow, would I buy another 60CSx? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is this - they're both excellent units, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Edit - I'd like to add a general comment on GPS cases. I bought one for the new CSx, and sure enough, it torn slightly in one place after about a week. I had a conversation with an REI employee, and he suggested I do what all the kids do with their electronic toys - buy a sheet of plastic at Toys 'r Us and cut a piece to fit the display. He says every few months he peels it off and cuts a new one to replace the old, scratched one. It makes alot of sense - the case mostly gets in the way, and I don't think it adds much in terms of protecting the GPS.

Last edited:
Edit - I'd like to add a general comment on GPS cases. I bought one for the new CSx, and sure enough, it torn slightly in one place after about a week. I had a conversation with an REI employee, and he suggested I do what all the kids do with their electronic toys - buy a sheet of plastic at Toys 'r Us and cut a piece to fit the display. He says every few months he peels it off and cuts a new one to replace the old, scratched one. It makes alot of sense - the case mostly gets in the way, and I don't think it adds much in terms of protecting the GPS.

Kevin, I've done this with all my little screen things, like the LCD screen on my digital camera, my handheld compass, my GPS unit, my Suuntu Watch... basically anything with a clear screen. I use basic clear packing tape and I haven't had to replace it yet.

Jay

Re scratch protection for the screen:

I just cut some PDA screen protector to size and put it on the screen. Also for my digital cameras.

I also use a case for my GPS.

Doug

I think I'm going to try Jay's method of clear tape - I have plenty of that stuff. And, I don't need a GPS case, as it never rains in California (I think there's a song in there somewhere ...).

Kevin Rooney said:
I think I'm going to try Jay's method of clear tape - I have plenty of that stuff.
You might want to check to see how hard it is to remove from a test surface. That could be a critical difference between clear tape and screen protector.

And, I don't need a GPS case, as it never rains in California (I think there's a song in there somewhere ...).
I use the case to minimize abrasion damage, not to keep rain off the GPS. (Perhaps one should use it for dust storms... :) ) In any case, it is a user choice.

Doug

DougPaul said:
You might want to check to see how hard it is to remove from a test surface. That could be a critical difference between clear tape and screen protector.

I thought of that, but after I saw the price of a PDA screen protector, my mind was set and I figure I'm pretty handy with a razor blade and soap. :)

Jay

Kevin Rooney said:
Dugan -
I pondered the same decision - Vista HCX vs 60CSx -[/I]

Just back in from Hawaii ,Vegas and a bit of Grand Canyons....family vacation.I brought the Vista HCX,just to try it out.

Usage off and on for two weeks. .Many times I forgot to conserve power and shut it down.
This thing does NOT use electricity.:cool: Only used one set of batteries ...still with good power.

I found it amusing to pick up satellites inside Shopping Malls .:D
(Last model is a Magellin Sportrak Map..not used to this)

The unit was not pampered...sand and salt water spray were regular visitors.Doesn't seem to mind weather .

I loaded up with 1.25 Gig of Free Maps (see other thread) and access was quick and the maps were reasonably accurate.(No topos were loaded though)

I tested the satellite altimeter readings on airplanes and on ground..
Estimated error 5%. Eg. 2000 feet read 2100. Accurate enough for my needs.

Pros: Tough ,small ,and a battery miser.Unbelievable reception and good lock on.Not too expensive.
Cons: Night default lighting ..too dim...but you can increase it temporarily.On and off button requires strong pressure.
Unable to manually set projected waypoint using joystick to locate target and enter in coordinates .GPS seems to default on present location no matter what I freakin do.:mad: Only able to set projected waypoints using software.If this is a Garmin issue , it sucks....unless there is a trick to this.

Regardless of the above issue, I am happy with it.

Dave
Edited by adding second note to Cons.

Last edited: