Dix-Jan. 31,2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DLewicki

Conditions: A little fresh snow on a well-packed trail from Route 73 to Round Pond to junction to Hunters Pass trail. Soft-unconsolidated snow from there to the arctic-alpine zone then bare rock with a few icey spots to the summit. The trail up the side of the slide is in excellent shape. Thanks to the group of three in front of me who packed down the fresh snow all along the way.
Special Required Eqipment: Snowshoes and poles from start to finish. No need for crampons (although carried along just in case).
Comments: This was one of my best days yet. The warming sun made the temps in the low single digits seem much higher. Enjoyed the day hiking with my partner Rick until near the base of the slide and then a solo ascent to the summit. The 360 degree views from there were spectacular. A stiff wind and bitter cold wind-chills at the summit, however, made for a short stay there. The slide was a blast going down and the hike out was serene.
Submitted by: DLewicki 46er#4932 W-34er