Dix via Round Pond - March 14-15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
Round Pond TH parking full when I got there. One truck left as I arrived and I parked to allow one more space for somebody. Nice walk in; the path cuts across the frozen pond to save a climb up and down the high ridge next to Round Pond. Note that ice-out is just about 5 weeks away - ice conditions can change overnight in April, so be careful out there! The recent ice storm brought down lots of branches and some trees, but not a problem unless you’re hauling a sled full of camping and ski equip., as was a group at the base of the slide. Stream crossings frozen with good ice bridges everywhere. Easy crossig of frozen Bouquet by lean-to (still no door on the outhouse).

Sunny day Friday, good crust on top of the snow (note to self: put SUNSCREEN in pack to avoid red face!). Opted to hike up the trail that parallels the slide - steep but good traction. Followed track of Shin who passed me on his way down. Trees up high covered in ice - don’t bang your knees on that ice! Great views from summit. Track to Hough and beyond was reestablished by a group of at least 6 on Saturday.

Snowshoes used from TH to summit - crampons just ballast. My favorite path to Dix!

Last edited:

Latest posts