Dix wilderness off trail snow conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
What are the Dix wilderness off trail snow conditions like for snowshoeing and back country skiing in the 2000' to 3000' elevation range. Would appreciate snow depth, consolidation, crust layer info. Have any routes been broken in the West Mill Brook approach or the Bouquet river approaches. Thanks for any input. Buddy

It was very warm sat. night and sunday morning, there was a weird mixture of windy rain and blowing snow in Keene, if this was rain at 2k' then it's going to get crusty for a bit til the next snowfall...

Jay

A memory blank or a memory white out or... yes something like that probably...

bar graph?

Mr. Spruce, I think that if you described the conditions with enough detail from sea level to the 2000' elevation and also from 3000' to as high as you are ( increments of 50' should be sufficient) I could create an incremental conditional bar graph, using noaa algorythmic condition modeling to get a probable representation of the snow conditions at the time you were there. Then I could decide the appropriate waxing regime I should use for my ski trip up Niagara brook. Also a report on the amount of urine staining in the Dix wilderness would be helpful in determining whether or not I bring klister wax and ski sanitizers along. Thanks for your much anticipated information. Buddy

Mr. Buddy,

As you know, the meteorological conditions change as you ascend through those 50 foot increments. You might want to consider multiple wax layers of only a few microns in thickness (the thickness would be a function of the steepness of the terrain in that gentler grades will equate to greater distance traveled within any given pair of contour intervals). As you gain elevation and wear through the various wax layers you should be able to enjoy perfect kick and glide.

Personally, I use waxless skis.

Yours in fishscaleyness,

Neil

Trip planning, the endless task.

First of all. My apologies to Blackspruce for my incorrect gender assumptions. Second, thank you Neil for the waxing suggestions. I'm always astounded by the amount and quality of the mountain knowledge and tips that can be gained by participating on this web site. Being the technologically oriented trip planner that I am, I will be superimposing my conditional bar graph over a map software trip elevation profile of my planned route, extract the needed data to create an elegant and highly effective waxing scheme. Thanks again for your help and if anybody knows if West Mill Brook has been broken out at all this year, that bit of knowledge would be appreciated as well. Waxless?...seems too easy. Buddy

I'm always astounded by the amount and quality of the mountain knowledge and tips that can be gained by participating on this web site.
Did you know that there are 200 different species of lichens between the Loj and Algonquin's summit? I (a mountain master) recognize all 200 at a glance and know at least 3 medicinal uses for each one. Interestingly enough, and within the scope of this thread, 23 species may be used as cross-country ski wax between 2000 and 3000 feet elevation.