Does this look right? (Jefferson to Adams)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK4Life

Reaction score
Montreal, Quebec Avatar : Minarets From Mammoth S
I am trying to bag Jefferson and Adams in one day and I will be with some non-experienced climbers. Does this look like a proper route? I am just going off my AMC map.

1.Caps Ridge to Jefferson 2,700ft
Loop trail to Gulfside Trail 500ft Descent
Gulfside Trail to Adams Trail 700ft Ascent
Adams Trail to Adams Summit 300ft ascent
Adams Summit to Adams Trail 300ft Descent
Adams Trail to Gulfside Trail 700ft Descent
GUlfside Trail to Loop Trail 500ft ascent
Castle trail to link 1,700ft descent
Link to Caps Ridge Trail 0ft
Caps Ridge to Trailhead 800ft Descent

Total Mileage 10.4 Miles
Ascent 4,200ft
Descent 4,200ft

Couple of things, there is no Adams Trail, that's Lowe's Path most likely, coming up from Thunderstorm Junction. Not sure what Loop trail you are talking about either.

Sounds like you are heading over to Adams from Edmands Col on the Gulfside trai. At T-Storm junction you head up Lowe's Path to the summit and back down, then retrace your steps back to Edmands Col. From there, you are taking the Cornice trail over to the Castle trail, heading down over the Castles, then cutting back to Ridge of the Caps via the Link.

Keep in mind that the Link is barely maintained and is a killer at the end of a long day. It's overgrown with lots of roots and rocks, very tough on the legs. The Cornice isn't much better, but there's less of it. I'd take it all the way to the Ridge of the Caps and go down from there.

Another nice little loop to add is go south on the Jefferson Loop from the summit of Jeff, take Gulfside north, across Monteccelo Lawn and take it around Jeff, hooking back into the direct route to Edmands Col. I love that section of Gulfside.

Here's a couple of trip reports to show you some of the terrain:
Jeff via Ridge of the Caps
Adams via Lowe's Path

-dave-

If you are really set on bagging Adams and Jefferson you might consider spotting a car at Appalacia (if possible). It'll give you more options for the descent, especially if bad weather threatens while on Adams.

Personally, if I could spot a car and I was really tired after summiting Adams, I'd rather go down the Valley Way to Appalacia or Lowe's Path to Lowe's Store rather than back to the Castle Trail and across the Link. Also, The Air Line is a nice scenic way down Adams to Appalacia with great views into King Ravine, although the center section shortly after you drop back below tree line is pretty steep.

Just my 2 cents.
^MtnMike^

Keep in mind that the Link is barely maintained and is a killer at the end of a long day. It's overgrown with lots of roots and rocks, very tough on the legs.

Dave is right, I did this at the end of a very long day across Madison, Adams and Jefferson and the Link was a bad option.

ADK4Life said:
I am trying to bag Jefferson and Adams in one day and I will be with some non-experienced climbers.
I, for one, would be very reluctant to do such a hike with "non-experienced climbers". Even if they are marathoners 4,000+ feet of vertical is not a joke for those not used to it. Plus the usual warnings about exposure above treeline.

As tempting as a couple of these routes are, I'd heed Mohamed's advice. He is not only a very experienced hiker and trip leader, he writes the accident reports for Appalachia magazine.

The other two climbers have been up Washington VIA Tuckermans Ravine and Noonmark in ADK. The hiking experience stops right there.

From Jefferson I see a trail just marked "loop" on my map, it reaches the Gulfisde trail after descending Jefferson. After taking the Gulfside trail what do you recomened I take to summit Adams

Lowes Path

I think it's Lowe's path that intersects at Thunderstorm junction with Gulfside. Lowes takes you to the summit. But it's been a couple of winters ago that I was there. Madison hut would be the closest shelter from Adams summit.

Last edited:
I think the loop in question is the Jefferson summit loop from the Gulfside. The Gulfside bypasses the summit (as Dave describes).

Last edited:
There certainly are a lot of trails in a small area up there, aren't there? As others have said, the Gulfside trail doesn't go to the summit of any of the peaks, the Jefferson loop leaves Gulfside just south of the summit and rejoins it above Edmands Col north of the peak.

Once you rejoin Gulfside you stay on it through Edmands Col, up to Thunderstorm Junction where you hit Lowe's Path. The Israel Ridge trail makes a slight cut off of the corner just before T-Storm, but that is really only a few 100 feet at best. Follow Lowe's to the summit of Adams, then retrace your steps back to T-Storm and follow Gulfside back to Edmands Col.

The most important thing about this trip is knowing your escape routes. In the event of bad weather your options are limited, especially getting back to your car on Jefferson Notch Road. Avoid dropping down into the Great Gulf at all costs. Alas, the wind will usually be pushing you that way. In bad weather, Edmands Col may be impossible to hike through. Instead, head down Lowe's Path or Israel Ridge, depending on where you are. You may have to hitch back to your car, but it's better than trying to cross that wind trap. There's good shelter at Gray Knob cabin on Lowe's Path.

There's water in Edmands Col, a spring just beyond the Wilderness Area sign on the Edmands Cutoff. The water is always running there, and it tastes great.

-dave-

Adams and Jefferson

As an old and out-of-shape hiker, I suggest Caps Ridge to Jefferson; Jefferson Loop to Edmands Col; Gulfside to Lowe's to Adams and return by the same route. (did this years ago) The difficult nature of the Cornice (last thursday) and Link (years ago)negate any savings of energy in terms of altitude gain.
Your best bailout if bad weather strikes is probably the Castle Ravine Trail, a memorably steep descent.

Best of luck