Down jacket - no hood?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new down jacket and most of the ones I like don't have hoods. In fact it seems most of 'em out there are hoodless. You'd think that if you needed the jacket you'd need the hood too. I almost always throw the hood up when wearing the one I have now. Such an increase in heat retention for so little weight. Anyway, anybody got thoughts on that?

Actually, one of my favorite pieces of gear is an EMS down sweater without a hood. I can use it alone, with a hat, or with my shell hood and a hat in really cold temps. I find the flexibility nice, without a bulky hood in the way.

Neil, I always carry a down jacket(hoodless) with me in the winter. The only times I wear it are when i already have a wool hat on around the campsite, or I already have on a wool balaclava, a softshell jacket with the hood already up and the down jacket is the last piece of gear i have left to put on to stay warm in those extreme conditions ;) .

I have both a North Face down and a Campmor down, both with hoods. I think hoods are the way to go, especially when the temps dip below zero. Having the hood attached to the jacket adds much more warmth. When it's real cold I leave the down on top of my pack. When I stop, the down goes on and the hood goes up. I might leave the hood behind if I am day hiking and the weather is looking good, but for an overnight trip the hood always goes.

I have a hood on my down jacket though the hood itself is not down just nylon to keep the snow and what not from falling down my neck.
One thing I do notice is if I put a hat on over the hood it can have a tendency to slip off though as yet it hasn't been a big problem ..just something I'm mind full of.

My brother just bought a NF down jacket WITH hood, 650 fill for 50$ at TNF outlet in Freeport. What a steal! Went back to get me one and they were sold out! I agree that they would be more useful with a hood!