durability of Tyvek for emergency ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
reworking our emergency kits it struck me that a large poncho might be strong enough to make an emergency hammock. I know there's sylnylon tarps and ultralight hammocks, but I'd rather stay cheap and replace if needed.

Anybody have enough experience with tyvek to know if it can be used as an emergency hammock ?

Tyvek is certainly strong enough, but it's very slippery, and doesn't really stretch at all, so it seems like it would be very awkward as a hammock.

My first thought, though, is "Why you would need a hammock in an emergency?"

Better than rolling around on the wet, rocky ground, no ? Really I was just thinking multi-purpose uses, as a sheet of tyvek could be a poncho, ground cloth, tarp...or hammock (maybee). Cheap, light, replaceable.

Little Ricardo: from what I've read so far tyvek is only slightly heavier but about 1/100 the cost of sylnylon. I'd buy sylnylon if I did the ultralight tarp thing vs a light tent, but I don't. This is pure emergency gear that may never be needed, and I'm putting together four kits.

Tyvek is certainly strong enough, but it's very slippery, and doesn't really stretch at all, so it seems like it would be very awkward as a hammock.
I don't know if Tyvek is strong enough--one of the posts in Quietman's first link reports a sudden catastrophic failure leaving the occupant on the ground. (Note: a hammock sustains a tension that is significantly greater than the weight of the occupant--the flatter it is hung, the higher the tension.) I can see how it would be prone to ripping along a seam or from a nick.

Tyvek appears to be available in a number of weights and the reports do not specify which weight was used.

Same here...

In an emergency, I'd use a poncho as a windbreak, rain cover, and/or tarp depending on the details.

Doug

Same here...

In an emergency, I'd use a poncho as a windbreak, rain cover, and/or tarp depending on the details.

Doug

Let's not get hung up on that. I'm just asking if anyone knows. Maybe "emergency" was the wrong word. I'm thinking a long day hike here on the AT turns into a night in the woods and I'd prefer to be more comfortable. If possible. Why the heck not ? If possible.

Let's not get hung up on that. I'm just asking if anyone knows. Maybe "emergency" was the wrong word. I'm thinking a long day hike here on the AT turns into a night in the woods and I'd prefer to be more comfortable. If possible. Why the heck not ? If possible.
OK.

My Speer hammock body weighs 22 oz (with easily removable mosquito netting) ready to hang. (The fly is an 8x10 ft sil-nylon tarp, not included in this weight.)

Converting a poncho to a hammock (knotting the ends and attaching the hanging tapes, Speer style) would presumably be possible in the field but might be hard to do under emergency conditions. Might also be hard to undo if you want to convert back to a poncho. Strength could be an issue. (An intentional hammock will avoid tension across seams, the poncho might have tension across seams.)

A nylon poncho would have the advantage that it is nylon and the stretch will reduce impact loads when you get in, unlike Tyvek. On the other hand, ponchos are water-proof--you are likely to end up with a wet underside. (Hammock bodies are breathable to let the moisture out.)

Get Speer's book, follow his instructions on how to convert a rectangular sheet of fabric into a hammock (it is done by knotting the ends of the fabric), and let us know how it works...

Doug

Little Ricardo: from what I've read so far tyvek is only slightly heavier but about 1/100 the cost of sylnylon.

I'm not trying to argue prices here but don't disqualify silnylon because of cost:
Tyvek: 10'x150' for $188 @ lowes => $0.125/sqft
Silnylon (2nds): 1 yd x 60" for $4.61 (assuming bulk order of 20+ yds) => $0.307/sqft
Reference: http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Ripstop.asp#Nylon%20Ripstop:%20Coated

Overall I would recommend the silnylon, even the non bulk price is $5.90/yard (60" wide, for $0.393/sqft) plus you get your choice of nifty colors :D

If you are seriously interested in hammock camping, you will want mosquito netting and a rainfly. Also the better hammocks are hung with tape (webbing) rather than rope to minimize the damage to the tree bark. (The tension in the lines will be several times your body weight.)

As for the use of silnylon, you will have to make sure it is strong enough and the knots at the end will not slip. Also, IIRC, silnylon is waterproof--fine for the fly but you will probably get pretty wet if you use it for the hammock body.

Doug

I use tyvek as a groundcloth for my bivy. It works well in that regard. I can't address your hammock question because...well....tyvek hammock???whatever....What I can contribute is that if you purchase the typical home-wrap type tyvek for outdoor gear use, run it through a cycle in your washing machine before you attempt to work with it. It will become more like textile and less like potato-chip bag.

Stop the train! Back up! You're work isn't done here yet...:D

What else are you thinking of putting in your kit?

Will report when complete. Going for light yet functional. My perfect daypack/"emergency" kit would allow for a comfortable overnight below treeline and above freezing, and I want to test it to make sure. In actual winter conditions I always carry enough extra stuff to allow this same proposed kit to be survivable, but I prolly wouldn't be hangin a hammock in winta. :)

Will report when complete. :(

Going for light yet functional. My perfect daypack/"emergency" kit would allow for a comfortable overnight below treeline and above freezing, and I want to test it to make sure.

Since Chip won't share :p what do you think you'd put in an emergency overnight survival kit if limited to four items?

I'd like to stay warm, dry and hydrated.

Last edited:
It depends on what else you normally carry, but I'm putting together 4 or 5 kits that are "grab and go" and as idiot-proof as possible. Coghlan makes these waterproof pouches that hold everything and can be used to carry and sterilize water. The kit contains a sharp, locking blade knife, compass, whistle, poncho, fire starter and tinder, twine, some first aid items, led flashlight and extra batteries, water tablets, mirror, deet/sunscreen, a small multi-tool, a couple of chemical hand-warmers, and currently a "space blanket" emergency bag, but that will be upgraded. I think that's it. We used to carry this stuff in fanny packs, but decided that they were easier to lose or leave behind then throwing one of these kits in each of our packs.

I need to add some duct tape, an amount of folded aluminum foil and a small sewing kit.

Separately for a day hike I carry a map of the area, some food and water, Precip pants and jacket, sunglasses, maybe a fleece, maybe a 3/4 pad, maybe a bivy bag or 1 man tent, camera, cell phone, gps, etc.

Last edited: