Elk Lake Lodge - Closed for the season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gate at Clear Pond on the Elk Lake road (and public access from the Elk Lake trailhead) closes on October 22 at the beginning of Northern Zone big game hunting season. After December 4, the trailhead is open to the public from Clear Pond.

Get your Dixes in early. :)

Trail to Marcy from Elk Lake via Panther Gorge has significant blowdown here and there, with very few the last 3 miles into Panther Gorge and hardly any the last mile up to Four Corners but one third of the plank section through Marcy Swamp will give backpackers a good workout (see pictures below) and the rest will require skates!

View attachment 3414

View attachment 3415

View attachment 3416

Sleep, only at work!

We met climbers, at Four-Corners, who had gone the day before from the Loj by Lake Arnold to reach the Feldspar Lean-to and reported very tough going through and down that pass because of considerable destruction. Both looped over Marcy and Haystack the day we met them and said those trails were in great shape.

Trail to Marcy from Elk Lake via Panther Gorge has significant blowdown here and there, with very few the last 3 miles into Panther Gorge and hardly any the last mile up to Four Corners but one third of the plank section through Marcy Swamp will give backpackers a good workout (see pictures below) and the rest will require skates!

If I'm not mistaken, Phil Brown's latest posting of trail status in the high peaks still shows that trail section as closed.

According to DEC website it's not closed yet but I am not sure since usually when Lodge closes so does the trail till December. Furthermore I did not specifically say we walked that trail all the way from Elk Lake, Panther Gorge is a great get away!:)