Emergency ID bracelet is a good idea

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
In another thread WinterWarlock linked to the Road ID. I think it deserves it's own thread. I ordered one and received it today. It is a great idea. I also received an email with a $1 off discount if any order one in the next month (Coupon Number: ThanksCarole376455)

DougPaul said:
I've seen cautions about putting ICE on your phone. The risk occurs if the phone is stolen.
What kind of cautions? Prank concerns or privacy issues? I mean, the numbers I would mark for in-case-of-emergency are in there anyway.

Any modern device has privacy concerns if stolen. Phone, laptop, PDA, whatever. All current phones have directories, and call logs, etc. Nobody would want it otherwise.

The flip side of course is if it is lost, then the finder might know who to call to return it, besides the cell provider or police.

To continue the though... I put my name and phone number on my bicycle helmets with a Sharpie.

Tim

MichaelJ said:
What kind of cautions? Prank concerns or privacy issues? I mean, the numbers I would mark for in-case-of-emergency are in there anyway.
It has been a while since I read them--IIRC, it had to do with the thief knowing who to harass or some such.

I'm not trying to argue pro-or-con, just pointing out that people should examine the down-side as well as the up-side before following such advice.

One could also argue that the most important ICE number is 911...

Doug

I, too, always carry an ID (license, DPA) in my wallet. But depending on where and what I’m hiking my wallet could be in my pocket of my shorts, in my pocket of my rain coat, in the zip pocket on the top of one pack, or the bottom pocket of another pack, etc. I do have a contact number on taped on my cell phone and on my camera, but again depending on circumstances it changes where they may be on any given hike. I don’t wear a helmet hiking.

Were I unconscious or worse :eek: valuable time is lost searching for my ID or contact/optional medical info. Wearing something on the wrist is easily seen and probably a first spot checked (for pulse). It’s light weight, comfortable and I got purple :D .

I got the red (size small in pink was sold out :( :p ). I should have had one of these years ago. Instead, even when I've told Emergency Personnel that I have a latex allergy/related food allergies (and that I'm not diabetic, that I don't have a heart abnormality, and that I'm not having an ectopic pregnancy!!) they've ignored me. This way, at least there's something to back me up. Plus if I can't answer they'll have a clue what might be the trouble.

Chris

DougPaul said:

Doug

I would kinda hope that if someone found me unconscious, they'd know to call 911 without my cell phone prompting them to do so :cool:

Anyone know if you can attach the metal badge to a watch? Or a watch to the bracelet?

griffin said:
Anyone know if you can attach the metal badge to a watch? Or a watch to the bracelet?
I had the same question as I thought of getting a second metal badge only for my watch(es). So I just checked. It easily comes of the wrist band (but not so easy that you could lose it) and slipped on my watch band. It would have to be a thin band as the slot is slightly over 1/2" long and just under 1/8" opening.

I'm a little confused here. The "Medic Alert" bracelet has been around a long time - is the suggestion that people with potentially urgent conditions wear one, or that EVERYONE should wear an ID bracelet?

DougPaul said:
It has been a while since I read them--IIRC, it had to do with the thief knowing who to harass or some such.

I'm not trying to argue pro-or-con, just pointing out that people should examine the down-side as well as the up-side before following such advice.

Doug

FYI: It has been noted that most (all?) cell phone will emit a noise of some sort if you dial 911. So, should you ever need to call 911 without the knowledge of someone in your company, it's something you should be aware of and that most people don't know about.

Fish

Kevin Rooney said:
I'm a little confused here. The "Medic Alert" bracelet has been around a long time - is the suggestion that people with potentially urgent conditions wear one, or that EVERYONE should wear an ID bracelet?
I personally think having an easily seen ID with an emergency contact(s) name/number and if necessary medical conditions alert is a good idea when one is hiking, biking, running, traveling or many other times, especially if solo.

I personally like this wrist band over other options I've seen is it a light weight nylon strap vs. metal bracelet that jiggles as you move, and is cold in cold temps. I don't like wearing something around my neck (again jiggly and cold), my upper arm, ankle or shoe laces either.

Opinions vary.

Have you seen the newer Medic alert braclets? The medic alert people have newer display systems and they are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

Medic Alert

I have no problems with either FWIW. Either of these would be especially useful in a wilderness environment if they list your medical condition. Phone calls and internet access to find out the information will likely not be possible. They are almost certain to be found in a wilderness environment since there is lots of time to do a very thorough assessment because of the transport difficulty. In a non wilderness environment I don’t know that I would be looking for the non medic alert type bracelet, pendant or anklet. Often with people unconscious you might miss the medic alert bracelet depending on circumstance. We are not supposed to miss it but it does happen. Sometimes it never gets to the point in the assesment were you are looking for it.

As far as ICE, if there is cell service, it might be of considerable use in the wilderness environment but in an urban setting we never start rifling through your clothes and pocketbook looking for your phone. Just isn’t time to do that. The hospital might though.

Regards,
Keith

Last edited:
Be more modern

These days, more and more people are starting to get RFID tags implanted. It is the way of the future. Your medical information right there. It won't catch on branches, won't fall off, and never clashes with a style of clothes you may be wearing.

Pete_Hickey said:
These days, more and more people are starting to get RFID tags implanted. It is the way of the future. Your medical information right there. It won't catch on branches, won't fall off, and never clashes with a style of clothes you may be wearing.

:eek: There's no privacy or security issues with that solution :eek:

Tim

I have mine for more than just a medic alert - as I travel internationally quite a bit, I wanted something with contact info.

I'll also add that I have ordered these for my kids for summer camp - I figure it's easier from someone to find the emergency contact info right on the kid than having to run back to the office and go through the files.

bikehikeskifish said:
:eek: There's no privacy or security issues with that solution :eek:
Unless they can be read at a distance...

About the same as being able to read someone else's ID bracelet without their knowledge or permission.

The same problem occurs with the new electronically readable passports--you have to carry them in a shielded enclosure unless you want anyone to be able to read/steal them.

And, of course, there are "no" such problems with cellphones or EZpasses*...

Doug

* In case you are unaware of it, either can be used to track your whereabouts.

DougPaul said:
* In case you are unaware of it, either can be used to track your whereabouts.

Well, technically they can only be used to track your cellphone or EZPass's whereabouts!
:D

WinterWarlock said:
Well, technically they can only be used to track your cellphone or EZPass's whereabouts!
:D
True, but said devices can usually be linked to the owner.

If you are concerned, you can always turn your cellphone off or wrap the EZPass in aluminum foil. (Of course, neither will work in that state.)

Doug