Emergency ID bracelet is a good idea

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ICE Info on Phones

I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) numbers in your phone are for rescue personal (fire/EMT,Police, hospital) can get in contact with a spouse of family member...NOT 911.
Think about it, your 200 miles from your home town, found unconscious, transported to the hospital. They know your name (because of the ID your carrying) but how do they get ahold of someone who gives a hoot? ICE.
Put your home number, and a number of someone you trust (family member, spouse, friend, ect.)
I also have my spouses work number programmed in with a first name.
ICE is a contact number and name only...Not a number to call when the emergency is happening. It's contact info for AFTER the emergency.

Happy Hiking.....Walker

At the risk of beating a dead horse/stating the obvious:

If you have an urgent medical condition, then it certainly behooves you to wear some type of medical alert bracelet/dog tags, etc. Most likely you'd wear this all the time, hiking or not.

If you don't have a medical condition - whether you need additional ID beyond what's in your wallet ... well, as Carole said - opinions vary. It's a matter of personal preference as to how many different ID's you should be carrying. I suppose if you wanted to carry multiples, then maybe use a baggage tag and attach it to a chest strap on your pack?

I can't imagine ever voluntarily having an RFID implant. It's scary enough to leave your cell phone on and worry how many times the phone's location is being stored in a government database somewhere. What's the sampling rate? Constant? Minute intervals? Hourly?

I have a Road ID liek the one Carole is talking about. I wear it running, bike riding, hiking, kayaking etc when I do not ahve another ID on me. I have several emerg contact numbers on it. I wear it in case I get mowed down by a car, again, when I am out running or riding. Usually wear the ankle ID and I can't tell its even there. Use the dogtag when I need to carry a key with me. No room for advacned directives on the IDs though.

Other information to include

Like BikeHikeSkiFish, I put my name/phone number in my bike helmet. I also include my insurance information. It's handy when I split the helmet open after crashing--the information reveals itself, like a fortune cookie. I carry similar information, and ICE info, in the top pocket of my pack.

As for the RFID chips, doesn't Dr. Wu install those for VFTT people who know the secret password ("_ll_g_t_r _ggs")? The most important information in case of a trail emergency would be, of course, your screen name, so people could check if you had lots of little green squares, and were therefore worthy of treatment. (At this rate, I would be left on the side of the trail. I need your help.)

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
I can't imagine ever voluntarily having an RFID implant.
It's getting more and more popular. One marketing scheme is to scare parents into it. In case their child is kidnapped. Then there is the medical condition marketing theme.

The state of California recently made it illegal for an employer to force employees to get one.

A few more generations, and we'll see scanners for them at all trailheads.

Pete_Hickey said:
It's getting more and more popular. One marketing scheme is to scare parents into it. In case their child is kidnapped. Then there is the medical condition marketing theme.
The other side of this scheme is to pressure/force hospitals, police, etc into buying scanners.

Doug

bikehikeskifish said:
To continue the though... I put my name and phone number on my bicycle helmets with a Sharpie.

Tim, I did exactly the same thing with my general-purpose water / day pack, which I wear every time I go mountain biking... I scrawled I/C/E with my wife's name and phone number on the top and sides so it can be seen from any angle.

I am also considering adding "If you can read this, please turn wearer right-side up" on the bottom, but that is a different thing.

DougPaul said:
The other side of this scheme is to pressure/force hospitals, police, etc into buying scanners.

Doug
Maybe just have them stop by their favorite Wal-Mart, Staples, etc before going to ER or pookey for a quick scan?

I'm waiting for the day when newborns are tattoed on their butts with a bar code. Everywhere you go, just run the scanner off your butt and brings up everything you need to know about them.

You won't be known as John Q. Public. You will be 123-456-7890. Or, maybe 0110010011101001

dug said:
You won't be known as John Q. Public. You will be 123-456-7890. Or, maybe 0110010011101001

You'll need more than 16 bits to represent the population.

Sincerely,
{72d65b34-8284-436b-87b0-0e21fdab315d}

p.s. Sorry for being a geek.

Kevin Rooney said:
I can't imagine ever voluntarily having an RFID implant. It's scary enough to leave your cell phone on and worry how many times the phone's location is being stored in a government database somewhere. What's the sampling rate? Constant? Minute intervals? Hourly?
Are you talking the phone or an RFID tag?

Aren't most RFID tags only useful if they are scanned at close proximity?

There was an IBM commercial where a trucker gets a call that he is on the wrong road. He is told that the 'boxes' signalled the dispatcher that he was off course. But in reality, this can not happen with a regular RFID tag.

bikehikeskifish said:
You'll need more than 16 bits to represent the population.

Sincerely,
{72d65b34-8284-436b-87b0-0e21fdab315d}

p.s. Sorry for being a geek.
Actually it will probably be of the form:

000110 000110 000110 !

:D (we don't have an 'evil' icon on this board, too bad!)

Tom Rankin said:
If I can drive through the EZPass scanner at 20+ MPH and 10+ feet from the scanner, then I'm NOT remotely comfortable with having an RFID tag in my body.

I do have an RFID key to get into my building, but it contains only a number which means nothing to anyone else. I suppose they could "learn" it is me if they really wanted to.

I have always thought that one's SSN or other credit or identifying information should have a public key and a private key bit, like TLS (formerly SSL) and other encryption technologies. That way you can give out your number to various agencies as a database primary key w/o worrying about them impersonating you. Of course you would always have to be present to enter the private key if needed, but that would be in cases where you authorize the release of information, which is the whole point of privacy protection.

(Sorry for the thread drift)

Tim

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
Depends on the design. However, even fairly short range RFIDs can be read by someone carrying a reader in a briefcase or in his clothing and brushing up against you in a crowd.

Doug