EMS Course - 2 day high mountain traverse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I want to take a course on winter camping and above treeline travel and I've just learned that EMS offers such a course. Although the price is a bit steep, I was wondering if anyone ever took this course?

I believe (although my knowledge of the whites is very weak) that you go up Jefferson and then traverse Franconia Ridge, with a night of winter camping thrown in there as well.

Fish

maybe you mean go up lafayette and do the franconia loop?

jefferson and franconia are quite a distance apart :)

I dunno about EMS. I haven't taken any courses, so I can't help you there

I have done guided technical climbs (rock and ice) with both EMS and IMCS (IME). They both are very good. A mountaineering course with either of these groups or one of the other AMGA accredited guide services in the area is a smart investment and would eliminate a lot of the mistakes beginners make when first starting winter hiking and camping.

jeez.. for a bit more you can go with exum and do the grand teton!

seriously, taking a course would be good to learn skills, but you can learn all that stuff by reading books and practicing on your own.

I might get in trouble here - but I don't think its worth it for franconia ridge.

Unless they are taking you up one of the slides, I can't see how this is advanced (they list it under advanced programs). I would be more than willing to take you up this - this winter (as a day trip) assuming you got the gear - for free!!! I am sure others would be willing as well

On a good weather day this is a routine and well traveled winter hike. Not to say bad stuff can't happen, but it really isn't a big deal as long as your in decent shape and the weather is good - that being said - stuff changes quick up there.

but courses are darn good for winter stuff where the margin of error is much smaller. shop around - for that kind of money I would take a 3 day intro to mountaineering course where you will learn crampon/axe use, some basic ice climbing on wileys slide and camp in the mt washington area and make an attempt on that. the guides should also touch base on snow anchors, avalanche, etc.. you would be better off I think with the 3 day rather than this class if your going to spend 100's of dollars.

basically for that kind of cash - make sure your getting some technical instruction and not just a hike over the ridge.

Last edited:
yeah exactly what giggy said

fish: if I were you, I'd take an intro to winter mountaineering course, and then get some gear or rent and do the ridge myself. start on something easy like cascade in the daks and then move up to the bigger peaks.
paying that much for something which is IMO pretty easy is just wrong

Hi Giggy!
The problem is, I already took an intro to mountaineering class where we practiced self-arest, crampon technique, moving up steep snow/ice (Huntington, Central Gully)...we didn't have time to cover ice anchors and more advanced crampon techniques though, because someone got injured and we had to carry her out on a stretcher.

I might take you up on that offer later during the winter!

Fish

hikingfish: if you already took a course, then I'd say just start on a smaller easy winter peak and move up to the 5Ks. maybe if this was colorado and you wanted to do longs peak in the winter, I'd understand.. but not here in the east. it's just really not necessary, esp if you've been hiking for a few years.

your good to go - you should have a good foundation - start small and work up as anita said - that class would def be a waste of your time and $$ based on you already taken a better one!!

Hi gang,
I've already done a certain amount of snowshoeing in the high peaks, but only started doing active winter activities last winter. I did Big Slide, Algonquin and Giant (almost did Gothics as well, but we had to turn back), which are decent outings.

I want to do loads more peaks this winter and I just wanted to make sure I was prepared. I've been exposed to fairly high winds above treeline, but not that often. That's why I wanted to further gain knowledge...

Fish

hikingfish said:
I already took an intro to mountaineering class where we practiced self-arest, crampon technique, moving up steep snow/ice (Huntington, Central Gully)

wait a sec, if you've been up huntington in the winter, you shouldn't have ANY trouble doing anything else.

anita514 said:
wait a sec, if you've been up huntington in the winter, you shouldn't have ANY trouble doing anything else.
In winter Huntington is either a medium snow gully or an easy ice climb.

Useful experience, but, by itself, hardly enough to make a complete mountaineer.

Hikingfish: if you want more experience and instruction from a guide, it is probably reasonable, but looks kind of expensive to me. My guess is that the trip is on Franconia ridge somewhere between Lafayette and Flume. The exact details would depend on conditions and the group.

Doug