EMS Sold -- Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always liked the Peterborough store best. Concord and N. Conway were bigger but for some reason the atmosphere at Peterborough was different.

The EMS final bankruptcy auction is Aug 30. Mountain Warehouse, based in the UK, is the stalking horse bidder that will likely get the assets and assume the debt. This bidder seems more like a Bob"s Store business model than a focused outdoor retailer like EMS.

Anything can happen at the auction and another bidder might swoop in and win the day. But a stalking horse usually has an advantage due to pre-auction arrangements and conditions worked out with the bankrupt entity.

Stay tuned...
I travel to the UK every few months and have been in several Mountain Warehouse stores. Nothing fancy - mostly own brand (or other brand) mid to low level clothing and items. Despite numerous trips (can’t turn down a stop to a gear shop) not once have I been tempted buy anything in there. Could likely get similar things at Target or Walmart.

Thanks for the updates in this thread! I miss when EMS used to be a hiking/mountaineering store and not the outdoor fashion store it has devolved into. I was recently in 2 Mtn Warehouse locations in Scotland (Edinburgh & Pitlochry). They reminded me a lot of the current EMS; so maybe the acquisition will be positive. I would still hate to see EMS go under.

Only these stores will remain open:

Hadley Ma
Burlington VT
Lake Placid NY
Saratoga Springs NY
West Lebanon NH
North Conway NH
Portsmouth NH
Interesting, but it does make some sense, as all of those are in or fairly near areas where the gear that EMS offers would be useful (several near mountain areas, Portsmouth for the water-based options while still not too far from mountains).

Saratoga may be the furthest off, but it is close to the Northway that many use for access to the Adirondacks, along with a number of lakes as well, so an easy one to stop at en route if you realize as you are packing that your xyz is missing or needs replacing (when you wouldn't want to order it and not have it arrive before you go).

Only these stores will remain open:

Hadley Ma
Burlington VT
Lake Placid NY
Saratoga Springs NY
West Lebanon NH
North Conway NH
Portsmouth NH
And the N. Conway EMS is in a building about the size of an Aroma Joe’s, with REI 2 blocks away in the huge old EMS store. I thought the store on Marginal Way in Portland was small until I went to N. Conway.

Really odd, just got an email from them about the Total Inventory Blowout, which lists 7 locations - any guess as to which ones they list (hint, the list looks REALLY familiar from someplace around here ;) ).

I'm surprised they would keep Saratoga (really Wilton) and close Albany (really Guilderland, at the foot of the Northway). There is a locally owed shop (Mountainman Outdoors) a few miles away but in the heart of Saratoga...twice the size/selection of EMS Wilton AND they stock a fair amount of mountaineering gear.

I'm surprised they would keep Saratoga (really Wilton) and close Albany (really Guilderland, at the foot of the Northway). There is a locally owed shop (Mountainman Outdoors) a few miles away but in the heart of Saratoga...twice the size/selection of EMS Wilton AND they stock a fair amount of mountaineering gear.
Mountman Outdoors in Saratoga is a but small percentage of the store in Old Forge NY. Although that store has recently been sold to another owner, it carries on as it was.

Now this is interesting: I drove past the EMS in Lake Placid this afternoon, and the ‘Sale’ signs are gone. Instead, there’s a poster in the window reading, ‘Now Hiring - Great Gear, Great People, Great Benefits’.

Latest posts