Eureka Zeus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi IChris -
I bought a Zeus 2 from Eureka Outlet about 1.5 years ago and used it on the AT for a few nights and then for 2 weeks in Alaska.
I sold it shortly thereafter on Ebay. My warning should have been when the store clerk told me that I should keep a small towel or bandanna handy to wipe off excess moisture.

I wrote his comment off - I figured that if I got the Zeus 2 for only one person, I wouldn't have as many issues with condensation buildup due to the larger voume of air. Wrong.

It is freestanding and lightweight. It is also probably great for dryer climates, but it was always damp inside when not raining and wet & clammy inside when raining.

I did also notice that on rainy nights, the design of the tent seemed to allow a minor leak/slow drip in the front by the door. Not cool.

I sold it as soon as I got back from AK and decided to avoid these single wall shelters FTTB.

I have since purchased the Sierra Designs Hyperlite AST on sale at REI for $200. I can get myself, wife and 3 year old in there and the tent weights 4.5 lbs and is still freestanding.

Cheers
Rick

Thanks Rick,

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping to find good reviews about it. It seems like the perfect tent on paper - light weight, easy set up, free standing, etc... but if it leaks and moisture is a problem, I'm gonna keep looking. I just read similar reviews on another site.

I see Mountain Hardware has the Airjet 2 that is comparable. They also have the EV 2 which is a 4 season tent weighing about 4.5 lbs - awsome - but over $600. Forget that.

Thanks again.

PS - Anyone have an opinion on the Mountain Hardware tents mentioned above? Thanks.

I have a Zeus 1 that I have used 2x and I really like it. The last time I used it (a few weeks ago) it poured all night. I was pleased to discover in the morning that the only water that got through was a couple of tiny puddles. I would definitely give it a shot - it's probably the best deal out there for a lightweight tent. Sets up fast, also. I found that the 1 is roomier that I had expected, and you can sit up in it - a plus when the weather is frightful.

I have the Zeus I. Similar tale to tell. Moisture buildup on the interior. I was going to try and lift the side flaps higher to try and induce more circulation also leave the vestibule fly partially open.

As for the light weight and ease of setup aspects, two thumbs up.

Is it possible to have a tent that is "water resistant" that still breathes and doesn't collect condensation on the inside? I haven't had that much experience in tenting to know... Air circulation definitely seems to be the key.

I had been looking closely at the Zeus, but received a number of warnings about the condensation. So, I ended up up going with the Sierra Designs Lightning...it's very nice. I also looked at the MSR Hubba Hubba, but I'm fairly loyal to SD, and that was the deciding factor.

FWIW,
When I had the front vestibule open, the tent remained somewhat dry, however, I do remember one very quiet still evening when it was about 75 degrees out and the mosquitoes were everywhere.
It was stifling in the tent and I lay with my head as close to the mesh door as possible to breathe cooler fresh. There just wasn't enough mesh to allow the tent to cool off a bit and I felt trapped inside by themosquitoes while stewing in my perspiration.

I have been a longtime Eureka and Camp Trails advocate. I am very displeased that Eureka/JWA abandoned many of their old style tents and went to just several models - The single wall Zeus, the Apex's and not much else in between.
I don't know what precipitated the change, but I wish they would beef up their tent (and backpack) line-up again.

I've used this tent since it first became available. Condensation is a problems with 2 people in the 2 Model with the flaps closed on a cool damp night but most nights I sleep with the door open and have had no real problems. I used this last year on the Northville Placid Trail as well as about 20 other nights out. I also use it on winter camping trips as long as there are no blizzards in sight. The only problem I found was that the seam sealer they included with the tent was not all that great so I ordered a tube of SilSeal made specifically for that material and it works great. My son and I spent a night last summer in a continuous downpour all night long with no leaks. The big advantage is you can split the tent fairly equally between 2 hikers at about 2 lbs each --- not bad

My guess was tent / poles & stakes & footprint?

This doesn't make my decision any easier - hahaha

Some say good, some say bad.

I might just take the plunge and test it for myself.

Thanks all.

BTW - if anyone can recomend any other type of solo shelter (even those that utilize a single hiking staff) that would be awsome.

stick with double wall...

I'd stick with a double wall...any way you slice it, you're going to get a real moisture problem with a single...now some people don't mind waking up damp after a perfectly dry night...others do...I just bought a North Face Tadpole 23...it's fantastic, but small...so if you're a tall or big guy, it might not be very useful for you...but I'm only 5'9 145lbs...it's beautiful as a solo tent, 2 is snug, but def. doable...breathes well, easy to set up, and you can use it as a fast pack when the bugs are gone...oh it weighs in at just over 4 lbs. and is packs down real small (7x14)...I did not come across any other tents that packed down this small...

I just checked it out - it looks interesting but it says 4 lbs 3oz standard weight, 4lbs 15oz total weight. What's the difference (besides 12oz)? How can it have two different weights? When its packed in your pack, it only has one weight, right?

Last edited:
Chris,
I believe one (lower) weight is the "trail" weight - The tent, fly & poles only. The other weight includes stuff sacks, stakes & repair kit and/or seam sealer.

Were you looking for a freestanding tent? REI had the Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST on sale for $199 - It has 43 Sqft and is only about 4.5 lbs (Trail weight).
I picked one up and it will sleep my wife, myself and our 3-year old. The design is different, kite-shaped and you sleep diagonally, but I like the amount of space and the height to weight ratio. Even at 4.5 lbs, it is not too heavy for one person.
Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
a friend of mine has the zeus 1 and complains of condensation, myself and a friend have the backcountry model, i the 2 and he the 1, we both love them and have no complaints.
maybe worth checking out?
peace