exercise to help hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to keep in shape by jogging 3 to 5 miles at least 3 times a week.

Brien said:
I like to keep in shape by jogging 3 to 5 miles at least 3 times a week.
I was jogging 4 miles six times a week until I started hearing about everyones worn out and arthritic knees Do you jog on dirt or pavement? I may start again, but jog on dirt so it won't be so hard on the knees.

I used to jog on a mile long track for much longer distances (5 to 12 miles). Two kids later, I'm pretty much am relegated to the treadmill in my basement (which i put on an incline of 4.5 and 5). When I can I like to run the neighborhood - it's better to run outside than the basement.

My knees aren't the problem and haven't been in the 12+ years of running but I took a spill down a trail about 5 years ago which threw my back out badly and I couldn't run for 8 months. When I did return to it, it was using an eliptical, which I never was comfortable with, but I gutted it out and used it until my back was better, then I began to use the treadmill and or outside. Until the fall down the trail I had never used a treadmill but the treadmill has some give to it which is better for my back (and I guess my knees as well).

I use an inclined treadmill. Walking is almost as good. Once in a while some sit ups and upper body stuff.

And stretching!

And more stretching! :D

Biking to work always is good... 21 miles everyday helps with the cardiovascular muscles and is too much fun to feel like exercise!

Jay

I find the best way to stay in shape is to mix the exercise up. If I dont have a lot of time I run. You can get a great workout by doing a 30 min run. I also like to Mt bike on the hottest days. I usually start everything from my house. Although I have the advantage of living next to 40000+ acres of parks and forest. I can be on a trail in 10 minutes. My days off I hike or paddle depending on how hot it is. In Winter I mainly XC ski and snowshoe. If no snow on ground which is rare, I will run. I try to stay off the pavement as much as possible. It is not good on the joints. I have a nice figure eight loop trail in my yard half in woods and half in fields. I will also do this often, especially if it is dark out. It is about 3/4 of a mile once around. I try to get a workout in at least every other day. This allows for the body to recover. This sort of program has worked for me. I can hike easily 3 miles an hour on moderate terrain and I can keep it up for a good 10+ mile hike. You have tp play around with a workout. Everyones body reacts differently. I dont use weights, I do pushups a few times a week. I try to concentrate more on endurance workouts.

There are two parts to being in shape. One is to build your cardio system. This can be done by anything that keeps you going a long time, with a moderate heart rate; cycling, running, gym machines, etc. Heck, even rowing would work. Long, slow, and steady is important, but if you want to increase your 'performance' you have to intersperse that with short hard things, where you get your heart rate close to its max... anearobic stuff.

The second part, is to work on the muscles which are specific to hiking. This does not take long, given that the cardio is good, (for me, a day or two does it), but I find the only hiking really works there.

I must chime in that my legs had never felt stronger for hiking than the year that I was obsessed with my Indo Board balance trainer.

It was meant to strengthen and improve balance for surfing, but it really got my legs in shape.

I broke it (essentially wore it out) about two years ago, and I'm just realizing how much it actually did help...I have to get another one!

Anyone else ever use one or something similar???

skibones said:
I was jogging 4 miles six times a week until I started hearing about everyones worn out and arthritic knees Do you jog on dirt or pavement? I may start again, but jog on dirt so it won't be so hard on the knees.

I can personally attest to running on dirt being MUCH easier on the body than on pavement, and that's with some arthritis in knees and probably hips too. Trail running I'm fine, a mile on pavement and it feels like there's chunks of ground glass in my knees and hips.

Running is great for cardio, but I find it works best for hiking when alternated with walking. Use running to build wind & endurance, walking to use the muscles in the same way as hiking.

Certainly aerobic training is essential (treadmill, elliptical, bike, run, walk), but I'd like to put in a word for strength training too. In particular, use a leg extension and/or leg press machine (or do squats with weights) so that your leg muscles experience the eccentric contractions involved in lowering your weight rather than just raising it. This will help you when you're coming down the mountain. It's one thing that treadmills, ellipticals and bikes just don't get. Running and walking downhill will help too.

Balance training should probably be in there too, especially for geezers like me.

I agree with Pete about hitting both types, and have done a lot of processing on this question since I saw this said right here on these boards a few years back:

The best exercise for hiking is hiking.

Then, on a heavy backpacking trip, a cycling friend said that the balancing stress is what makes hiking so strenuous. Perhaps that's what's missing in non-hiking exercise.

I hike as much as possible locally (couple times a week) and visit the YMCA's nautilus room for a month or two before backpacking trips (couple times a year). The hiking part also keeps me functionally sane.

Because of now unusable Vioxx, my last four years have put me in the best shape of my life (at 42).

Hiking, cycling & weights.

Good luck!

Balance training made simple.
Put a short length of 2x4 flat on the floor.
Stand on it with the ball of one foot and elevate slightly your heel. See how long you can last.

Once you feel stable and have built some endurance move your body about in randomly (in a Tai Chi manner) while maintaing balance. Or swing your other leg around.

Most people have one leg that is much poorer at this. Work harder on that one. It's the one that is at greatest risk for injury.

Walking, Resistance Training and Stretching

I can’t run or bicycle due to a physical limitation but I try to stay reasonably fit with walking (3 ½ - 4 mph) 4-5 miles on non-hiking days. Some of those days I add Nordic walking poles, to increase cardio. The problem for most of us is finding the time.

I do resistance training 3 times a week and stretching after.

And, additional stretching whenever possible (Tom’s right on the mark).

Last fall, due to lack of time I dropped the resistance training and stretching and felt the difference in my knees when hiking. Just resumed these and felt much better after recent hikes.

Neil said:
Balance training made simple.
Put a short length of 2x4 flat on the floor.
Stand on it with the ball of one foot and elevate slightly your heel. See how long you can last.

Once you feel stable and have built some endurance move your body about in randomly (in a Tai Chi manner) while maintaing balance. Or swing your other leg around.

Most people have one leg that is much poorer at this. Work harder on that one. It's the one that is at greatest risk for injury.

Agree with balance training – step aerobics classes with a very dance-oriented instructor used to accomplish that for me – no way my knees can handle step aerobics now. The 2x4 idea sounds effective though and portable, thanks.

Before a big hike I want to concentrate on my hiking muscles so I do:

-Lunges - first without weights, then with
-Squats
-Balance exercises for ankle strength - there is a dome shaped exercise ball at my gym with a flat side. I stand on it with one foot and try to keep my balance. If you don't have that, just standing on one foot and trying to stay in balance is good (move your body around for a challenge)
-Back extension - very important core exercise that targets lower back
-Ab work - anything to help the core
-Stairmaster - I take my backpack and put weights in it. I start smaller (25lbs) and gradually (over 1-2 weeks) raise the weight (~65lbs). I do it for at least 40 minutes and make sure not to lean on the handles and that I use the full extension of the machine. Make sure to input the weight of you + the extra into the machine.

In addition to the regular gym stuff I do other things like bike (road/mtn), climb, and kayak - those all help with something.

run about 4 times per week - 4 to 7 miles. sometimes I trail run at night, this time of year, will start doing some mtn biking - real basic stuff - I only have the 150 dollar mongoose special. I just ride to keep in shape. If I can't get to the hills for a multiple weekends, I will do a long run on the weekend- for me that is 10-13 miles. I just started doing these within the last 12 months. Not into marathons or anything like that - so that is short runs for some here!

I think trail running in a local state park works the best - terrain varies, up hills, downhills, etc.. I am way more wasted after doing 5 miles of that than 10 miles of road running. Now I have a 13 month old and hike the local state parks with him on the back - and thats is about 25 pounds - so now that helps too!

I think gyms are boring way too $$$

I find this works good for what I do in the hills. - I am not the strongest hiker out there - but do ok,

--M. said:
Then, on a heavy backpacking trip, a cycling friend said that the balancing stress is what makes hiking so strenuous. Perhaps that's what's missing in non-hiking exercise.

I find bouldering to be a great way to strengthen the muscles needed for balancing while hiking. Den Rock and Hammond Pond are two of my favorite places.

I've also experimented using hiking poles and think that the biggest reason (for me, anyways) they make hiking easier is by reducing the balancing stress.