exercise to help hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to get out and walk the dog. Both of us get exersice that way, and the dog likes it. My neighborhood has some short but steep hills so taking the dog out for a couple of miles is a pretty good workout. The neighbors do give me funny looks when I walk the dog wearing a backpack (filled with bags of sand). I also will take hikes up Mount Wachusett when I have the time. Door to door, I can hike the steep Pine Hill trail, hit the summit and be back home in an hour and 45 minutes. At work, we have a conference room on the 5th floor. I'll take the stairs. I rarely take the elevator anyway. I also play ice hockey about 3 times a week from September to April and then on Sundays when I am not hiking or climbing in the summer. I also try to get out one day a week after work during nice weather to go to the local crag and do some rock climbing.

I found the best way to get in shape for hiking is walking, and the best way to get in shape for backpack is hiking. It's all just walking. If your out of shape put a few pounds in a day pack and take a walk. Try to include hills. Seek out uneven terrain (unpaved shoulders, broken pavement, gravel, etc) and just walk! Every other day, walk, increase the weight in your daypack and walk, wait another day - increase the weight - and walk... to the supermarket, the ATM, the barber shop, to the mall, around the block, anywhere will do. Incorporate walking into your lifestyle...

Jeeeeeeeeeeez, I'm gettin carried away :eek: It worked for me :D

Onestep

"Kettlebells" are great for cross training . The Soviet army used that technique with their soldiers for strength and endurance conditioning. I do a few of the exercises, but I should increase the variety and time. Has anyone used kettlebells along with their training?

Kettlebells NYET!

Yes, and I spasmed my lower back muscles both times. I could not get out of my car for a week. One of the keynote excercises is to hold the kettlebell with 2 hands and stand with feet shoulder width apart then swing the weight between your legs behind you and then forward and up to above head height. Apparently I would round my back on the down swing and this would cause my back muscles to spasm the next morning. The M.D. put me on flexeral (muscle relaxant) which is miserable stuff, and vicoden which is a different kind of miserable. Most of the rest of the excercises can be done with dumbbells, which allow for smaller weight adjustments.

The main guy that pedels these things is an ex-KGB agent trainer. Didn't they lose the cold war? Save your money.

Paradox said:
Yes, and I spasmed my lower back muscles both times. I could not get out of my car for a week. One of the keynote excercises is to hold the kettlebell with 2 hands and stand with feet shoulder width apart then swing the weight between your legs behind you and then forward and up to above head height. Apparently I would round my back on the down swing and this would cause my back muscles to spasm the next morning. The M.D. put me on flexeral (muscle relaxant) which is miserable stuff, and vicoden which is a different kind of miserable. Most of the rest of the excercises can be done with dumbbells, which allow for smaller weight adjustments.

The main guy that pedels these things is an ex-KGB agent trainer. Didn't they lose the cold war? Save your money.

I agree that you need perfect form and correct weight to do the kettlebell exercises. I needed to go down a weight to do the windmill exercise because I have a torn rotator cuff. Once I did this and was more careful of the form I found it to be a great core workout. I also agree that Paval is taking advantage of our capitalistic country in pushing his regiman and products, but I also feel it is one of the best core workouts. I was too cheap to buy the smaller kettlebells, so I also use weights doing the same kettlebell exercises.

Walking, cycling, maybe running and definitely stretching

Hmmm. I walk and bicycle (indoors or out) to keep my machine from breaking down on the trail. I have been a runner and have gotten back into alittle, although I'm no racer. What I'm discovering as I approach the hallowed big 5-0 that I'm doing alot more stretching before, during and mostly after hikes and other exercise. Aerobic exercise is an certainly important component for me, but keeping flexible is just as important. I've even taken up Tai Chi alittle out of a need to keep limber. I've found I've avoided more injury in taking this path (*)

(*) Perhaps with the notable exception of klutz-compelled-hiking-moves on snow/ice this Spring resulting in right knee pain and seeing stars. Ah, had I been paying attention... :D

--LTH

Last edited:
Hike exercise!

LivesToHike said:
Hmmm. I walk and bicycle (indoors or out) to keep my machine from breaking down on the trail. I have been a runner and have gotten back into alittle, although I'm no racer. What I'm discovering as I approach the hallowed big 5-0 that I'm doing alot more stretching before, during and mostly after hikes and other exercise. Aerobic exercise is an certainly important component for me, but keeping flexible is just as important. I've even taken up Tai Chi alittle out of a need to keep limber. I've found I've avoided more injury in taking this path (*)

I am well past the big 6-0, and my main before and after hike exercise is lacing and unlacing my boots! It seems to work very well, since not only do I suffer no injuries, but also my boot stay on!

Fred

frytz said:
I am well past the big 6-0, and my main before and after hike exercise is lacing and unlacing my boots! It seems to work very well, since not only do I suffer no injuries, but also my boot stay on!

Fred

Fred - Well said! Lacing properly is often undervalued. I've nearly fell out of my boots on winter hikes for lack thereof...

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Yeah. Probably important for me too, as I start to approach middle age. Every time I break/sprain something, my physiotherapist yells at me for "Not doing your stretching like I told you."

Yeah, mine probably did that also after I came back afew times from several injuries. Btw, I hope the tone wasn't too heavy ! I only meant to say this helped me alittle.

Among my minor klutz injuries -I ripped a gastrocnemius afew years a back on a first day of summer hike - that put me out of hiking for the rest of the season. I still remember going to my first responder practical the next day on crutches! Folks were very good natured about it...

--LTH

The best exercise to get in shape for hiking is...

Hiking, backpacking, bushwhacking...etc, of course!