Fir Waves: path of least resistance?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Here's a general bushwhacking question: say my route takes me up along a ridge and I need to move parallel to (that is along) a fir wave. Which part of the wave would offer the best path, i.e. the path of least resistance?

You would have the following parts of the wave:

1) Back of wave: tall living trees with stubble underneath
2) Near back of wave: medium height trees with more stubble beneath
3) Near front of wave: small new trees underneath with some standing and some fallen dead wood above
4) Front of wave: mostly standing dead wood

I'm guessing the front, where the standing dead wood is encroaching on the tallest live trees would be best. Anyone experienced in moving through these things?

Thanks

in the winter with deep snow I allways look for the front of fir waves NO Spruce Traps!.in the summer any path of least resistence is the best.
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train I'd shine my light through the cool colorado rain.(GD)

Interesting. I've never thought to figure out where I am in relation to a fir wave. I typically analyze an area more within its immediate surroundings. So in summer, I definitely go for the small living trees (even the ones with dead lower branches which can be quite prickly) well before I'll choose an area with blowdowns, since falling between branchy logs and getting impaled is my worst fear when bushwhacking. I guess that would mean I'm in the back of the wave. In winter, I always go for the most open areas underneath, and standing dead trees with open ground beneath are always a great (albeit somewhat windy) option, which apparently would be the front of the wave. I'll definitely have to figure out which part of the wave I'm in the next time I hit one.

fir waves are full of blow down

Where there are standing dead trees there are usually a lot of fallen dead trees as well, In fir waves, they are often jumbled making for very slow going. I try to get upwind where the wave hasn't reached yet and then cross near the summit rather than get below or in the wave and the downed trees.

The very limited good news is that fir waves are usually limited to pretty pure stands of even-aged balsam fir and pricklier red spruce doesn't die in quite the same pattern.

I agree with B.B. These "fir waves" can provide the worst of both bushwacking worlds at the same time: Thick scrubby new growth and lots of spiny blowdown (which you can't see because of the scrub). Slow going in summer, and lots of spruce traps in winter. I only go into these areas when it is the only way or if it not very far to get through it.