Firefighter dies while battling brush fire on Lamentation Mountain in Connecticut along the New England National Scenic Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ear Drum

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Some very sad news from Berlin, Connecticut yesterday evening, when a firefighter died while fighting a large 80-90m acre brush fire on Lamentation Mountain in Berlin, CT. His ATV rolling over was the cause, and others were injured. There was a large procession of first responders last night past the UCONN medical center in Farmington, where the victim was taken. Flags are lowered today.

The New England National Scenic Trail (NET) runs along the top of this mountain. I'm sure our CT members have hiked it - I did so with B the Hiker a number of years ago. The entire 235 mile trail goes from the shore of Long Island in Connecticut, up to the Mass / NH line, a little south from Monadnock.

We don't get a lot of brush fires, and had a super wet spring / summer. However this fall season has been unusually dry, and the woods here feel parched. There is a designated NET campsite somewhere on that mountain, but I haven't heard yet if a campfire there started this, or any other suspected cause. I see now the fire danger status has been posted as very high.

report below from: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...hter-killed-at-berlin-hawthorne-fire/3415973/

A Wethersfield firefighter died on Tuesday while responding to a massive brush fire that started in Berlin that has burned more than 100 acres since Monday night and crews from across the state are sharing words of condolence to his family, friends and colleagues.
Robert Sharkevich, 66, died after a utility task vehicle carrying four firefighters rolled over on a trail while working to contain the massive brush fire on Lamentation Mountain, which is now known as the Hawthorne fire.
"Firefighter Robert Sharkevich's dedication to the safety of our community is nothing less than heroic," Gov. Ned Lamont said in a post on X (formerly Twitter, on Wednesday morning.
Firefighter Robert Sharkevich's dedication to the safety of our community is nothing less than heroic. My prayers are with his family and colleagues with the Wethersfield Fire Dept. and Hartford Fire Dept. I have directed flags lowered in his honor."

this link has many pictures and updates: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...urn-days-lamentation-mountain-berlin/3414987/

photo below from Greg Balicki at: https://x.com/gbalicki66/status/1848537536940962104/photo/4

GadSOQMWcAAtmuh.jpeg

Last edited:
If that's the same one I saw mentioned elsewhere, there was a vehicle accident somewhere (assuming a road runs near the bottom of the mountain, most likely?) and that was how the fire began. Due to the dry weather as you mention, it spread very quickly (and of course up a mountain would be a logical way to spread, making it that much harder to fight and contain).

CT is really, really dry right now. There are ponds and brooks I'm used to seeing water in generally all the time and they are bone dry right now. Several brooks in the local park I walk in look like trails. You literally kick up dust walking in them.

This has been a near perfect OCT for weather but I wouldn't mind seeing a good dose of rain for a few days....

Yeah I was over by some ponds on the RI/CT border this past weekend and was shocked how low they were. Probably a good foot or more below where they usually would be.