Floatplanes in Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Earlier today I posted on the Adirondack Explorer website an update on the lawsuit demanding floatplane access to Wilderness lakes. The disabled plaintiffs are seeking permission to fly to 38 backcountry lakes, including Lake Lila. You'll find the full list in my post.

Click here to read it.

Thanks for this link.

It seems heartless to prevent the disabled from visiting wilderness lakes, but that's why it's the wilderness.

Once a precedent is set, where do you draw the line? Allow ATVs to bring the disabled to remote campsites?

Wasn't there a lawsuit to open up the Marcy Dam truck road for disabled access?

The law does not allow airplanes below 2,000 ft AGL over wilderness areas. And even outside of wilderness areas it is forbidden to land an airplane on Forest Service land or waters without explicit authorization, unless an emergency or on approved government business. It is explicitly allowed to use wheelchairs in wilderness areas.

Some of the comments on the article raise very valid points.

The law does not allow airplanes below 2,000 ft AGL over wilderness areas. And even outside of wilderness areas it is forbidden to land an airplane on Forest Service land or waters without explicit authorization, unless an emergency or on approved government business. It is explicitly allowed to use wheelchairs in wilderness areas.

(Un)fortunately the Adirondacks are not federal wilderness but rather state wilderness which comes with a different set of rules. I know I've seen sightseeing airplanes well below 2k feet AGL in the Adirondacks.

I agree that floatplanes should not be allowed into these areas, there are plenty of beautiful places that are much more accessible.

One of the comments from the article that articulates the way I feel is that flying these planes into these ponds is no different than landing a helicopter on the summit of Marcy.

Once a precedent is set, where do you draw the line? Allow ATVs to bring the disabled to remote campsites?

This has already been an option for some time in certain areas of the Adirondacks. It's called a CP-3 permit, and it allows motorized vehicle (usually ATV) access to the backcountry on certain designated trails (usually old logging roads) in State Forests throughout NYS and Wild Forests within the Adirondacks and the Catskills.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/76213.html

FAR - Federal Aviation Regulations

MichaelJ

2,000 ft AGL over Wilderness Areas is a recommendation, not regulatory.

Also, I don't see any Wilderness Area designations in the ADKs on the Aviation Maps.

Jim

Last edited: