Fog proofing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Ok so I know my goggles are not the best but you all know how they can ice up. I have snowcross ones that are vented but again on this trip over algon, sooner than later they fogged and then iced quickly from moisture off my face im sure...and old school tricks without buying new ones that are double glassed?

thanks all.

Rob

I bought some catcrap anti fogging paste from EMS and put it to use once and it worked so far. It's not a lot of testing, but so far so good.

Cat crap works pretty well but it's a pain to keep having to reapply. I've found that with my glasses, giving them a good solid lick with my tongue on both sides of the lenses works pretty well.

Ask Chip ;) Oh, and if he has a good answer, I'd like to know. Those Scott's with the little battery fan may be the next thing I try.

Tim

(cough cough bite me cough) So, yeah, I'm still trying and have tried a number of things...including ESS Turbo Fans. A buddy of mine swears by the Scotts with the fan, but the ESS's, well look at the goggles in this pic:

IMG_2541.JPG

So maybe you should ask Paradox, Puck and kmac what goggles they were wearing.

Cat Crap, McNett Sea Gold, Shaving Cream, spit...work for a while, but aren't a solution. I also have Scott and Carrera double lense goggles. My younger son has a pair of Giro "Made in Italy" double lens goggles he wears snowboarding that he swears don't fog...I'm "borrowing" these next.

Kevin Rooney gave me the best advice I've had luck with and for some reason I keep trying other things...A Turtle Fur neck gator over your neck, mouth and nose with the goggle over that. Turn the gator when it gets damp. No moisture goes up to fog the goggles.
Edit: Like this:

PA120034.JPG

It's an ongoing experiment. I don't know what they do on Everest.

Last edited:
Hey Rob....if you quit smokin that silly stuff pre-hike it should help reduce the fog.

A quick search reveals they are now selling an after-market fan-only that claims to fit most goggles. http://www.motoonline.com.au/2010/04/08/scott-releases-all-new-goggle-fan/ Anyone try it?

Tim

I think it's worth trying. To be fair, I did not turn on the fan in my ESS's that day and was wearing the goggles on my forehead (collecting perspiration there). If they were stored properly before use, coated with Cat Crap, kept dry and the fan was on, I probably would have been fine. I often wear a wool baseball cap in winter, which seems to cover and block the top vents on goggles, or a face mask that can blow air into the goggle. It's a combination of things that can create the problem and I have not heard of any one thing that always works.

A wise friend suggested alternating two pair of goggles.
When one pair fogs up put them in a pocket near your body with a hand warmer.

Chip, you wear that hat with the brim, which should have the same affect as the helmet in keeping melting snow from running down into the goggles. Like me, I suspect melting snow is not your greatest source of moisture entering the goggles...

The things that work best for me is sealing the bottom of the goggles against whatever is covering my nose and cheeks against my skin so my breath or evaporation doesn't up up. Then, when working hard, I try to exhale through my mouth while aiming down.

The article is definitely onto something with "don't overdress". While riding in winter, I am comfortable, but stopping at a light can cause me to start sweating and will often fog my sunglasses immediately, so it is about not sweating and/or maximal dry airflow on the inside of the goggles.

Tim

Last edited:
Then, when working hard, I try to exhale through my mouth while aiming down.

This was the best method with motorcycling with a full face helmet in winter (Fog freezes quite quickly at 70 for less than optimal visual clarity). A balaclava covering nose and mouth and "breathe down".

Now don't anyone laugh, because they work great. Actually, I've been laughed at before when I wore them, but this weekend I decided that was okay. I've had my Bugz for about 14 years. This weekend on Saddleback they were wonderful. Comfortable and no fogging, even though I was overheating from time to time, while freezing and barely able to stand upright at others. I recommend them. The company is still in business and better than ever it seems. Anyone else tried them? (I wore them skiing the next day and they were a conversation piece at the quad line.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yfZVaJpKEGbDBf8-T3_qIAsyhMC5ZFcNHOt57m5AFEM?feat=directlink

Now don't anyone laugh, because they work great. Actually, I've been laughed at before when I wore them, but this weekend I decided that was okay. I've had my Bugz for about 14 years. This weekend on Saddleback they were wonderful. Comfortable and no fogging, even though I was overheating from time to time, while freezing and barely able to stand upright at others. I recommend them. The company is still in business and better than ever it seems. Anyone else tried them? (I wore them skiing the next day and they were a conversation piece at the quad line.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yfZVaJpKEGbDBf8-T3_qIAsyhMC5ZFcNHOt57m5AFEM?feat=directlink

hey if they work, they work....could be called a few bug names though...:eek: ;) thanks