For those that use hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1151216876262020.xml?starledger?nnj&coll=1

I just read the above tragedy. This person was a member of JSSKA (Jersey Shore Sea Kayaker Assoc) which I kind of hang out on their forum for paddling info in the NJ area. I know they had a big event at Round Valley this past weekend and saw the news article about the lightning strike on the forum.

I thought I'd pass this on to those that use hammocks of a possible lightning danger during lightning storms.. Possible elevated lightning danger to hammock users being lashed to a tree versus ground lighting.

Jay

Jay H said:
I thought I'd pass this on to those that use hammocks of a possible lightning danger during lightning storms.. Possible elevated lightning danger to hammock users being lashed to a tree versus ground lighting.
A strike to a nearby tree can cause ground currents that can also get you when you are in a tent. (A tent floor and pad only provide limited insulation.) Ground currents can also get you in a hammock (up one tree, through you, and down the other tree). Take your choice.

A hammock may provide more insulation than a tent--depends on what gets wet. I don't have any opinion or data on whether a tent or a hammock is overall safer from lightning.

Only safe outdoors place to be in a thunderstorm is somewhere else...

Doug

DougPaul said:
A strike to a nearby tree can cause ground currents that can also get you when you are in a tent. (A tent floor and pad only provide limited insulation.) Ground currents can also get you in a hammock (up one tree, through you, and down the other tree). Take your choice.

A hammock may provide more insulation than a tent--depends on what gets wet. I don't have any opinion or data on whether a tent or a hammock is overall safer from lightning.

Only safe outdoors place to be in a thunderstorm is somewhere else...

Doug
Although I thought about this possibility as I was hanging in a hammock during several rain showers last week, I don't believe the danger is any worse than it is laying on the ground in a tent. Either way, it's bad news to be in a lightning storm.

I don't believe the danger is any worse than it is laying on the ground in a tent.

Anybody know any statistics? Surely more people tent than hammock, but being on the ground and away from visible roots, trunks, etc, you may be statistically safer than in a hammock tied to two trees and typically not far from either.

Either way, it's bad news to be in a lightning storm.

So true!

jay

DougPaul said:
Only safe outdoors place to be in a thunderstorm is somewhere else... Doug

Definitely. I really like to lay in a hammock at camp after a long day of hiking (can ya tell? :rolleyes: :D ) ..... but have yet to sleep in one at night. I tried once a few summers ago in Harriman, but the wind was too strong .... and I started getting dizzy from all the swaying back and forth ..... :p :D

In all seriousness, that is a terrible tragedy ..... our prayers and condolences goes to the family.

JayH, thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't even thought of this possibility before.

I just started using a Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter this past weekend on an overnight and I had one of the best nights of sleep ever in the backcountry. The only thing I noticed was that it took several hours after waking up to get my "land legs" back. Even driving home, I felt myself swaying if I closed my eyes at a stop sign.

jbrown said:
The only thing I noticed was that it took several hours after waking up to get my "land legs" back. Even driving home, I felt myself swaying if I closed my eyes at a stop sign.
I've slept in my hammock for a number of nights--no such problems so far...

Haven't been electrocuted (yet?), but I have pulled a tree down with the hammock. (It was dark when I set up and didn't notice that the tree was dead...)

Doug

Jay H said:
Anybody know any statistics?
This is the kind of stuff for which there is so little data, that things are not statistically significant (except for golfers), and that the theoriticians talk about various things.

Bottom line is when a lightning bold has traveled many thousands of feet through the air, and it hits close to you, there isn't much difference where/how you are.

It is handy if you are limber and flexible, however. Easier to kiss your a** goodbye.

FWIW, I was hit by lightning many years ago. I know very little about it, except that when I woke up, my sister was screaming, and there was pizza on the ceiling.

DougPaul said:
I've slept in my hammock for a number of nights--no such problems so far...

Haven't been electrocuted (yet?), but I have pulled a tree down with the hammock. (It was dark when I set up and didn't notice that the tree was dead...)

Doug

The lingering swaying motion may have had something to do with the fact that I was dehydrated...I don't know.

The visual of you bringing the tree down made my day! (Not that I'd wish harm on you, it just sounded really funny.) :)

jbrown said:
The visual of you bringing the tree down made my day! (Not that I'd wish harm on you, it just sounded really funny.) :)

It does present a rather comical visual .....

....... but this is even funnier ....... no offense, Pete. :p

Pete_Hickey said:
FWIW, I was hit by lightning many years ago. I know very little about it, except that when I woke up, my sister was screaming, and there was pizza on the ceiling.

Was it a whole pizza, or just a slice? If just a slice, were you holding the pizza as if trying to take a bite?? And what toppings made it stick so well to the ceiling??? :D :p :D Only you, Pete ...... only you. ;)

anyone have any reccomendations on hammocks that are light, reliable, possibly with a "cover" for rain, and easy setup?

Do any of you "hammockers" find it difficult to find the "right" set of trees? Seems it would be easier to set up than a tent and surely easier to find a spot than a tent. Less impact too id imagine..

Sorry I know this is straying a little from the original thread..my bad

M

A friend recently bought THIS ONE from Campmor, but has not tried it yet. I have THIS ONE , but it's very minimalistic (cheap), ..... however, it's lightweight and I only use it to relax. The new one my friend now has ...... I'll have to try it sometime ...... as long as it's not too windy.

jbrown said:
The lingering swaying motion may have had something to do with the fact that I was dehydrated...I don't know.
So far, I've managed to keep the swinging down to a minimum. On the other hand, in a 30--38 ft sailboat in a broadside or quartering sea...

BTW, going to sleep in the above sea conditions is one way of preventing motion sickness.

Wasn't much of a visual--it was dark. More of an audio event. Don't recall having time for any emotions.

My "friend", the expert on the local hammocking trees, pointed out the spot to me and, trusting me, I didn't check the trees too carefully. (We were using two trees that were very close to each other for the head ends of our hammocks.) She was already in her hammock when I sat down on mine to get in (top-entry Speer Hammock). As my weight hit the hammock there was a loud crack and I stood up as fast as I could. (My friend cringed helplessly in her hammock.) I looked around and found the tree holding up the head end of my hammock leaning about 20-30 degees (tangled in the branches of other trees). I pushed it the rest of the way down (for safety), tied onto her tree, and had a decent night's sleep. I was lucky--I could have been seriously injured.

So the moral, is check your hammocking trees for both strength and lightning rod potential...

Doug

KMartman said:
anyone have any reccomendations on hammocks that are light, reliable, possibly with a "cover" for rain, and easy setup?
I am presuming that you are asking about serious camping hammocks. I have and like the Speer hammock: http://www.speerhammocks.com. Hennessy hammocks are also popular: http://www.hennessyhammock.com. (I tried one and returned it in favor of the Speer design.) Both designs have rain flies and are easy to set up. Both have their advocates--the Speer design is, IMO, a more practical and versitile design and is easier to insulate in cooler weather.

There have been a number of threads on this topic: the following search (on "speer hennessy hammock") will bring up several: http://www.vftt.org/forums/search.php?searchid=433858

Do any of you "hammockers" find it difficult to find the "right" set of trees? Seems it would be easier to set up than a tent and surely easier to find a spot than a tent. Less impact too id imagine..
It depends. It is hard to find a good spot above timberline...

In the trees, you need to find two sturdy trees 10-12 ft apart with a relatively clear area between them. Unlike a tent, the ground need not be smooth, flat, and level, and can even be running water or a hillside. Probably no harder to find a good spot than for a tent. And no rocks and sticks in your back at 3am!

In cooler weather, you may require more insulation under you than when in a tent--the cold air is flowing under as well as over you.

Doug

Last edited:
Kmartman - I've been around and used Hennessy Hammocks and they are top rate. Spent the night with a couple guys going thru on the LT that were using them exclusively and they loved them. As an alternative, I picked up a inexpensive (29.99??) hammock/tent that is made of "parachute material" and also has a skeeter net with a couple tie-off ropes. Easy to set up and VERY light. I've carried it a couple of times as an option on the trail, but never used it. I have used it at the cottage to get some "outdoor" sleep and find it pretty comfortable. I have a 3/4 length closed/open foam cell sleeping pad that I use in the hammock. It broadens the sleeping surface and even allows me to rest on my side. When setting up the hammock (esp. the light-weight models like mine) it helps to get a nice taut line on the unit, otherwise you're in too much of a crescent shape -- in the lightweight kind, you really never get rid of this, but the pad and tightening helps. I also find I don't mind if I'm a bit curved because that's what's comfortable about a hammock, and your weight is supported fully across.

If I don't want to set up the net, I just have to turn the unit over and there it is without net on top -- on the trail hammocks give you a place to "sit" as well as rest, if you plan the height correctly.

Jay, sorry to steal your thread. Interesting insight and tough for all involved that the dude perished. But... considering this was another internet-based group of outdoor enthusiasts, I'm just imagining others that were there with him the night before... they only know him by his screen name and then they are faced with his death. Authorities want information and all that is known is that you know him as 'paddleboy' and he's from someplace in northern Jersey... yikes!!

KMartman said:

Hennessy or Speer hammock styles fit your description. I switched from solo tent to hammock (Hennessy) camping 3 years ago, this is my 4th summer season. I spend many nights in the woods and haven't slept in a tent (except in winter) since. Much of what I do is way off trail, typically in lots of blowdown or on a small pond lakeshore. In the past I have literally searched for well more than an hour looking for a suitable tiny solo tent site. Typically the ground is extremely uneven, or wet, or covered in witch-hobble or worse brush, or is nothing but blowdown debris. I have never had to search more than a couple of minutes for suitable trees for my hammock. It works well for where I usually find myself.

Last edited:
I'll 2nd Nessmuk's post. Bought a Hennessey several years ago after doing a few trips with a cheap canvas "jungle hammock" and haven't gone back to a tent since. All of my hiking buddies have since switched to hammocks as well. It's nice to be able to set up anywhere there are trees. No need for flat, open space on the ground. I've set it up on the end of a cliff a few times and enjoyed waking to a great view. And it's very comfortable. I always say the position is exactly like lying on my back on the couch, and I sleep well there! The only issue I've encountered is convective heat loss through the bottom, but a thin sleeping pad has solved that for me. One worry: Do I look like a big bear bag? ;)

I know I'm jumping in late here.
I have been a tree hanger for 4 years now. Hennessey is my preferred hammock. I can sleep on my back, side, even on my stomach.
The only time I will sleep on the ground is in the dead of winter 20 degrees and below. At least until I figure out how to get my hammock down to those zero degree ranges.
It's not for everyone, but 25 degrees and higher I am a hopeless tree hanger.
For warmth, which is critcal and somewhat challenging in hammocks, one needs to ensure that one does all they can to prevent precious body heat loss from the underside of the hammock. If you don't do this right, you will feel like you are sleeping on a slab of ice! :eek:

My set up is as follows:
The Hennessey Ultralight Racer, The Jacks-r-better Underquilt (gets me easily down to 30 to 35 degrees) and Undercover (for really cold nights). I tossed the standard Hennessy tarp in favor of the Jacks-r-better oversized tarp.

Then I use what ever top bag for the temperature range I will be sleeping in.

A lot of people use closed cell pads in their hammocks. I toss and turn and therefore find it very dificult to stay on top of the pad. This is why I went for the Jacks-r-better setup. I sleep directly on the hammock surface , a cozy little coccoon.

For those of you who don't know, when you lie in a hennessey hammock, on the diagonal to the ridge line, you are laying practically straight, almost parallel to the ground.

I don't know, is this possible in a Speer? I don't think so.

Being a gear freak,

(Unfortunate, I know, but I am getting better, I'm in gear freak rehab. A halfway house of sorts for gear freaks. Once a month we meet and we backpack and carry tents of very lightweight material except for the log cabin roof sections that we have to haul in by wheelbarrow!!!!)

Anyway, being a gear freak (see above) I am very willing to try the Speer hammock, but I have already invested a lot in the hennessey. Perhaps when I hit the lottery!

Just my 2 cents.

;)

Zer0-G