For those that use hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zer0-G said:
For those of you who don't know, when you lie in a hennessey hammock, on the diagonal to the ridge line, you are laying practically straight, almost parallel to the ground.

I don't know, is this possible in a Speer? I don't think so.
Yes it is possible in a Speer, on either diagonal. (The Hennessy is designed for only one diagonal. The Speer is a symmetrical design, the Hessessy is asymmetric.) Any decent hammock based upon the Mayan design allows (actually expects) one to sleep on the diagonal.

Anyway, being a gear freak (see above) I am very willing to try the Speer hammock, but I have already invested a lot in the hennessey. Perhaps when I hit the lottery!
Speer sells a book which might help you check it out on the cheep. Available from http://www.speerhammocks.com, I got mine at REI. The book even includes construction plans and you can buy materials, parts, and partial hammocks from Speer. (I bought an assembled hammock body and added my own fly (silnylon 8x10 tarp). If you are handy with a sewing machine, you can easliy make a Speer-design hammock--a friend has made several and has experimented with several variations.

The main differences are:
* Speer is three separable pieces (hammock, mosquito netting, and fly; can be used in different combinations), Hennessy is a single unit
* Speer symmetric (sleep either diagonal), Hennessy asymmetric (sleep on only one diagonal, small weight saving)
* Speer separate fly (8x10 silnylon tarp, can be used with or without), Hennessy built in (can't be changed).
* Speer top entry (organize sleeping bag and insulating pads, then get in--just like you do on the ground), Hennessy bottom entry (through slit which ends up along side your legs, you have to get in and then organize your sleeping bag and pad under you).
* Speer has velcro-on mosquito netting (can be used with or without), Hennessy built in (can't be changed).
* Speer allows you to organize your insulation as a tube which includes both you and the hammock (ie full loft under you as well as above you), Hennessy does not.

I tested the Hennessy and chose the Speer because I thought it to be easier to use, more versitile, and the tarp can be used on the ground without the hammock. IMO, the underneath entry of the Hennessy is clever, but the boring top-entry of the Speer is more practical.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Someday I hope to try it out.
However a few clarifications:
DougPaul said:
* Speer is three separable pieces (hammock, mosquito netting, and fly; can be used in different combinations), Hennessy is a single unit
Doug

The Hennessey is sold as a single unit however, see below.

DougPaul said:
* Speer separate fly (8x10 silnylon tarp, can be used with or without), Hennessy built in (can't be changed).
Doug

The fly can be removed. I did it. I don't use the Hennessey Fly. I substituted the Jacks-r-better fly. It has a seam which is sewn on the diagonal and it appears to be catenary, at least when I pitch it, and it is larger.

I still don't know if the pad thing would work for me in the Speer, I really move around alot when I sleep. (I think I have recurring nightmares about that drunk Mariachi band I hung out with once in Mexico City!!!)
:eek:

I'd probably need the Pea pod...Ka-Ching!!!!!!

I told you I was in gear head rehab!!! What are you trying to do to me?
:D

Zer0-G

p.s. by the way, I think I saw you Saturday a.m. at Corey's road? I was messin with my gear getting ready to head out with Doodles when you came and went with your group.

DougPaul said:

Zer0-G said:
The fly can be removed. I did it. I don't use the Hennessey Fly. I substituted the Jacks-r-better fly. It has a seam which is sewn on the diagonal and it appears to be catenary, at least when I pitch it, and it is larger.
OK.
The fly was sewn to the mosquito netting (which was sewn to the hammock body) on the one that I tested.
edit: Now that I have thought about it for a while, I think the above is incorrect--the fly was detachable, but too small to be used as a tarp tent on its own.

Zer0-G said:
I still don't know if the pad thing would work for me in the Speer, I really move around alot when I sleep.
I also move around a lot--I have slept fine with just a 20in wide thermarest in warmish weather. Of course, you need a wider pad (to handle the wrap around) in colder weather. I spent a 20deg F night in my hammock--I think I used two REI standard blue foam pads (24in wide) and a 0deg F down bag. A wider pad (perhaps in 2 or 3 pieces) would be better--had to be careful about the edges due to the wrap-around.

Zer0-G said:
I'd probably need the Pea pod...Ka-Ching!!!!!!
Or try a rectangular sleeping bag with a full zip that opens from the foot end...

Zer0-G said:
p.s. by the way, I think I saw you Saturday a.m. at Corey's road? I was messin with my gear getting ready to head out with Doodles when you came and went with your group.
Wasn't me--I was painting my house...

Doug

Last edited:
Hammocks and dogs

All this talk about hammocks reminds me of the time we were doing trailwork on Dix, staying in the Slide Brook lean-to. Just slightly up the hill from us, was a hiker with a hammock. He had a big, long-ish haired dog. He was hiking all day, and it was raining all day.... Know how a big, wet, long haired dog smells? Sleeping in a small hammock (covered, because it was raining all night).

The guy must 'a loved his dog.

DougPaul said:
OK.
The fly was sewn to the mosquito netting (which was sewn to the hammock body) on the one that I tested.

I also move around a lot--I have slept fine with just a 20in wide thermarest in warmish weather. Of course, you need a wider pad (to handle the wrap around) in colder weather. I spent a 20deg F night in my hammock--I think I used two REI standard blue foam pads (24in wide) and a 0deg F down bag. A wider pad (perhaps in 2 or 3 pieces) would be better--had to be careful about the edges due to the wrap-around.

Or try a rectangular sleeping bag with a full zip that opens from the foot end...

Wasn't me--I was painting my house...

Doug

Hey Doug, we could go on and on......cool.
I tried so many different combinations of pads, 40 inches wide, 30 inches wide, my nunatak bag with pad strapped to it, velcro, crazy glue, bubble gum....none of it worked for me in the hennessey.

I FINALLY found the best solution and I thank Jack of Jacks-r-better every time I slide into my hammock. The Under Quilt. Solved all of my issues. It's light, easy to set up, no more pad squirming at all. Oh, don't let me forget, WARM!
My body rests directly on the hammock , nothing between me and pure comfort.
It's always a very personal system. The sleep system that is.
Of all the discussions I have with people, the sleep systems are always the most entertaining. That and cooking systems.
:)

Still, Someday I'll try the Speer.
Uh Oh, I better go to my gear junkie meeting now!
Zer0-G

Zer0-G said:
Hey Doug, we could go on and on......cool.
I tried so many different combinations of pads, 40 inches wide, 30 inches wide, my nunatak bag with pad strapped to it, velcro, crazy glue, bubble gum....none of it worked for me in the hennessey.
Sounds like you have been there...

I FINALLY found the best solution and I thank Jack of Jacks-r-better every time I slide into my hammock. The Under Quilt. Solved all of my issues. It's light, easy to set up, no more pad squirming at all. Oh, don't let me forget, WARM!
My body rests directly on the hammock , nothing between me and pure comfort.
Sounds good to me...
That's what my friend reports when she uses her tubular sleeping bag around her Speer. She also made tubular mosquito netting so she just has to slide it over her (no ripping velcro in the middle of the night when one has to go visit the woods...). Having the fly separate from the hammock body allows one a number of freedoms unavailable to those with attached flies...

There is one model (Crazy Creek?) that uses a double layer hammock (one side is open) so you can slip the bottom insulation between the layers. It would be easy to build a modified Speer to do this--the basic Speer hammock body is made from a 5ft x 8ft piece of fabric--just fold a 10x8 to 5x8 and sew away... Or you can suspend a net below the hammock and fill it with garbage bags filled with leaves.

It's always a very personal system. The sleep system that is.
Ayup!

Still, Someday I'll try the Speer.
Uh Oh, I better go to my gear junkie meeting now!
I've been a gear junkie for over 30yrs now--too late for me.

Doug

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
All this talk about hammocks reminds me of the time we were doing trailwork on Dix, staying in the Slide Brook lean-to. Just slightly up the hill from us, was a hiker with a hammock. He had a big, long-ish haired dog. He was hiking all day, and it was raining all day.... Know how a big, wet, long haired dog smells? Sleeping in a small hammock (covered, because it was raining all night).

The guy must 'a loved his dog.
I've heard of the human sleeping in the hammock and the dog in the rain shadow below. Sharing a hammock with a dog is a little too close for my idea of comfort.

Doug

Add'l note for those who haven't thought about 2 bodies in a hammock--the sides of the hammock press both tightly together all night. Not what I would want to do with even a clean dog (unless it is a very cold night), but then I'm not a dog person, so what would I know... :)

Path of least resistence

Doesn't lightening take the shortest path to the ground? I realize if it strikes nearby it may fry everything, but if you're off the ground it seems unlikely that a bolt passing nearby or even in a tree you're tied to would go back up or across when it could go into the ground?

I've been in many thunderstorms but never had a lightening strike nearby.

Just to add to the hammock discussion, I have the Hennessey Backpacker A-sym, which has a separate rain fly. Bug net is built-in which I'm perfectly happy with - better than fiddling with velcro or zippers to make sure the little bastards can't get in. On clear nights I'll leave the rain fly off or with one side folded over the other to give me a partial view of the sky. Done about 2300 miles of backpacking in it and it's still holding up incredibly well. Highly recommended.

As for the cold wrap, I use a Thermarest Ridgerest pad and sleep mummy-style if my elbows are being frozen. Slept well down to 20 degrees. For colder temps they now sell another shell layer that holds a thermal pad.

LIghtning does not always take the obvious path--like the 500lb gorilla, it can go pretty much anywhere it wants...

Ground currents can also take multiple paths (and usually do...).

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
I've heard of the human sleeping in the hammock and the dog in the rain shadow below. Sharing a hammock with a dog is a little too close for my idea of comfort.

Add'l note for those who haven't thought about 2 bodies in a hammock--the sides of the hammock press both tightly together all night. Not what I would want to do with even a clean dog (unless it is a very cold night), but then I'm not a dog person, so what would I know... :)

Those were pretty much my thoughts. While Hennessey and others have made hammocks for two, you would definitely have to like being very very close. You also have to be willing to be disturbed everytime the other body moves. I love my hammock and I love my dogs, but I don't take them on the trail together. If I had to take both, the dog would sleep underneath - not in - the hammock.

I picked up my Hennessey (Ultralight Asym) on impulse at an REI used gear sale four years ago and love it for three season use. The only downsides I've noted for solo use are decreased insulation compared to a tent and, with the original tarp, it is not idiot proof. A couple of mistakes in set up and it will not be weather tight.

pedxing said:
Those were pretty much my thoughts. While Hennessey and others have made hammocks for two, you would definitely have to like being very very close.

I just checked the Hennessey site beacause I was surprised to hear they now had a two person hammock. I couldn't find it on their site. I've seen some two person hammocks, on the market, but not Hennessey.

Even so, I still wouldn't sleep with my dog. Nothing against the pretty pooch, but I can think of better things to dream about outside of getting Cozy with my Canine.

pedxing said:
The only downsides I've noted for solo use are decreased insulation compared to a tent and, with the original tarp, it is not idiot proof. A couple of mistakes in set up and it will not be weather tight.

Keeping warm in a hammock below 50 degrees is a topic that can go on and on an on and on.....I can not tell you how many different "ideas" I have heard about. People can be very particular about what works for them in their hammock.

Whenever someone asks me about the hammock, I say "I love it, it's great!" Then sometimes they would say, "I"ve got to get one for me!"

Then I always say "It is a real challenge to find a way to warmth that works well for you." It is sort of a disclaimer. I don't want anyone cursing me for saying a hammock is the best thing since the flea collar (especially for those who like to get cozy with their canine) only to hear their frigid horror stories when it comes to staying warm.

I've got my system worked out. It works for me. Sleep systems are always a a very personal topic.

When you say, "a couple of mistakes", what were you referring to?

Zer0-G

DougPaul said:
LIghtning does not always take the obvious path--like the 500lb gorilla, it can go pretty much anywhere it wants...

Ground currents can also take multiple paths (and usually do...).

Doug

Y'know, If that lightning bolt has my name on it...I say....Bring it on...
Tarp, tent, hammock, outdoors.....sooner or later, something is gonna get me.
Could be a bus, truck, runaway lawn mower. I'd rather go in a blaze of Glory then under a wheel of an 18 footer. ;)

Hennessey did have a hammock that they listed as being for two at one point. I believe it was an earlier version of the Safari Deluxe, which is not listed as a hammock for two anymore. The description, however, indicates that it might be used by two:

"SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX

4lbs.8oz.(1650 g)/350 lbs.
The Safari Deluxe was developed for people who like really big hammocks. This is our deepest and widest and most comfortable hammock for larger people or even for cozy couples whose combined weight does not exceed 350 lbs. This model includes a a double wide hex shaped fly. Ideal for car camping, boat camping, out at the cottage or in the back yard."

I tried to find more product info on the Hennessey two person Hammock, but only found references to it, in the customer raves section of the Hennessey websit and Sgt. Rock's website. Sgt. Rock, btw, is a great hammock guru. I learned a lot from his discussion of backpacking hammocks.

http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_hammock.html

Zer0-G said:
When you say, "a couple of mistakes", what were you referring to?

Zer0-G

I would think think that any time you get wet in the HH that a mistake has been made in set up.

One example would be choosing to sleep under the stars with out the tarp and wake up in a rain storm. Even this option has ways to view and be prepared. You can set the tarp and fold over half of it on the same side and have it ready for total coverage provided you don't sleep thru the rain.

Other than that, I have never gotten wet in my HH with many nights spent in a storm including set up and break down.

Proper hammock set up is no different than tieing your shoes properly or proper bear bagging. If you leave the laces to long, you are bound to trip, and I believe that the bear bagging has been covered on another thread.

Last edited:
pedxing said:
This is our deepest and widest and most comfortable hammock for larger people or even for cozy couples whose combined weight does not exceed 350 lbs.

Yup, that's one big DOG !!! :eek:

I lounge corrected........ :eek:

Zer0-G

Doodles said:
I would think think that any time you get wet in the HH that a mistake has been made in set up.

One example would be choosing to sleep under the stars with out the tarp and wake up in a rain storm. Even this option has ways to view and be prepared. You can set the tarp and fold over half of it on the same side and have it ready for total coverage provided you don't sleep thru the rain.

hee hee....... :D

Doodles said:
If you leave the laces to long, you are bound to trip, and I believe that the bear bagging has been covered on another thread.

Indeed it has. And I hear it's a very serious issue. ;)