Fryin' pan.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hey'all,
Looking for a good frying pan, teflon I guess. Around 7, 8 or 9 inches in diameter with folding or collapsible handle. Any good suggestions?
MSR, GSI, etc?...
Saw the MSR 7in. Quick skillet but wasn't crazy about the shape of it...might have to settle though.
The GSI Pinnacle 8 inch frypan looks good too.
Thanks!
BTW...not looking for an iron skillet.

Last edited:

I know you said no, but I feel the little extra weight is worth it. I often would carry a small 5" iron skillet. They just cook so damn good and the small ones aren't out of this world weight wise. You can even cut off the handle if you want. :D

Keith

I know you said no, but I feel the little extra weight is worth it. I often would carry a small 5" iron skillet. They just cook so damn good and the small ones aren't out of this world weight wise. You can even cut off the handle if you want. :D

Keith

Do you backpack with it?

What do you cook in it?

I really don't usea fry pan much but lately the thought of some hot pan bread has be on my mind for this summer.

Last edited:
Hey'all,

And what's wrong with an iron skillet! There are so many things you can do with it without cooking.

10. Great hammer
9. Hit bear when he's chewing on my legs sniffing that good food.
8. Use as an anchor with the kayaks
7. Tie it to a kite and wait for lightning to strike and start a fire
6. Use it for ping pong in lean to
5. portable privy
4. If lake is frozen use it to break the ice
3. Do some arm curls and "get pumped up"
2. Use it as a drum for sing around at the fire

and the #1 reason to bring an iron skillet?

Because it simple "tastes grrrrrrrrrrrreat!"

And what's wrong with an iron skillet! There are so many things you can do with it without cooking.

10. Great hammer
9. Hit bear when he's chewing on my legs sniffing that good food.
8. Use as an anchor with the kayaks
7. Tie it to a kite and wait for lightning to strike and start a fire
6. Use it for ping pong in lean to
5. portable privy
4. If lake is frozen use it to break the ice
3. Do some arm curls and "get pumped up"
2. Use it as a drum for sing around at the fire

and the #1 reason to bring an iron skillet?

Because it simple "tastes grrrrrrrrrrrreat!"

:) Either the Dr got the Rx right or you're feeling better. Welcome back !

How much weight are you willing to carry and what would you cook the most of in it??

Can't comment numerically on weight but I'll mostly be cooking potatoes and eggs in the fry pan.

Will use for backpacking and paddling.

I know the iron skillets really are great but looking for something a little more compact and lighter.

Actually broke down last night and bought the MSR Quick Skillet. Will make sure to give plenty of t.l.c. to the nonstick surface.

Next question...anyone know who sells light weight, portable ping pong tables? :D

Last edited:
Do you backpack with it?

What do you cook in it?

I reall don't usea fry pan much but lately the thought of some hot pan bread has be on my mind for this summer.

I use to bring it camping in the summer but especially in the winter. Even in the summer, it was common for me to bring eggs and steak and bacon. Freeze the meat and it will last for at least a couple of days before cooking. Eggs last for several days also. Even on warm days these will last for quite a while.

Keith

Hey Chip, my new Aenther 85 is so big I probably could fit a few pieces of plywood into it and make a ping pong table. What you think?

Chris, I'm getting hungry just thinking about all that food.

A friend bought me a 9” skillet with folding handle my years ago and I have used it a lot on backpacking trips. It is great for stews, and corn beef hash in the morning. I do not know the manufacturer, yet it is the lightest skillet I’ve ever seen. Whenever I see a skillet at hiking store I pick it up to compare weight. I haven’t found one lighter yet. I will try to look for some markings when I get home.

I use to bring it camping in the summer but especially in the winter. Even in the summer, it was common for me to bring eggs and steak and bacon. Freeze the meat and it will last for at least a couple of days before cooking. Eggs last for several days also. Even on warm days these will last for quite a while.

Keith

I'm giving up oatmeal and try some bacon and eggs. :)

It will take more time to cook breakfast but I suppose if I start my bacon while I have my coffee I can fry up a potatoe and eggs before the bears show up. I don't most of us would take the time.

Last edited:

Keith

When you say that eggs last several days, that's if they are in their shell, not cracked, right?

When you say that eggs last several days, that's if they are in their shell, not cracked, right?

Yep. In the shell.

That is untreated. They supposedly stay fresh for weeks? if coated in wax and I have heard other ways of treatment also. Even on warm days, if you bury then inside the pack, you can still keep them fairly cool, cool enough.

I never had any problem but only did this for days or a week.

Keith

So...you win some, you loose some.
I received the MSR Quick Skillet in the mail the other day.

Pros: lightweight.

Cons: construction of skillet where talon handle connects to skillet seems weak, talon handle itself seems weak, no-stick surface seems like it will need babying while in transit.

I like the fact that it's lightweight and will do my best to take care of skillet but I'm already thinking of heading to Sports Authority to pick up the $15 mini iron skillet. No t.l.c. required there.

Plan to test real soon. If I remember, I'll try to give a second review.

...the cons of ordering items online without having first-hand info.

Thanks all for your input.

Last edited:
Not that I use it that much but I bought a nonstick, fairly heavy, pan from Big Lots, took the handle off and use a pot grabber in it's place. I keep it in a large zip lock bag to protect the surface. My nonstick cooking pot fits inside just right and I can use the fry pan as a pot cover. I have used the fry pan as a plate too. When the pan gives up the ghost I've only spent a few bucks and it is easy to replace.

I am an iron pan snob and prefer not to use anything else. I think the weight is worthwhile and carry the appropriate size for the number of "diners". Weight is not an issue when paddle camping.

When properly "seasoned" and maintained, it is every bit as reliable as teflon and keeps food warmer longer. Besides, I'd rather ingest the iron molecules that become part of the food than whatever a teflon molecule is.

If I carry eggs, I do them in two forms. If a pancake batter, I premix the liquid part of the batter and cool it in a thermos, keep it in a cooler until the trailhead or launch, then use it the next morning (the flour, baking soda/powder and other features ... dried cranberries, walnut, dried blueberries ... wheat germ, oatmeal ... are mixed in a large freezer bag in which the liquid is poured and mixed). If I want an omelet, I'll freeze a carton of egg beaters and use it within a couple days from trailhead/launch.

I always carry a small container of my favorite olive oil. Onions have a reasonable life expectancy if carried properly and garlic cloves last almost indefinitely ... but I digress.

I'd say, be a food snob and enjoy your outdoor meals ... they are part of the primitive appeal of the outdoors and always seem to taste a tad better in remote places with good friends. That means not skimping on such critical things as cookwear ... in weight most notably, as you can find a good cast iron skillet for less than a fancy teflon one.

If I want an omelet, I'll freeze a carton of egg beaters and use it within a couple days from trailhead/launch.

Stan, I like that idea, but would it still be frozen the next morning and you can't pour it? I was going to break the eggs at home, pour them into a small plastic water bottle, refrigerate it before trip, and use it the next morning. I'm going to check out the egg beaters.