Fuel Canisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
The discussion on stoves here reminded me of another ongoing question. What to do with nearly empty fuel canisters. When we were in San Francisco last September we couldn't find a place to legally leave them. REI wouldn't take them, said the place across the street would. That place wouldn't either.

Anyway, I found this online and wondered if others had tried bleeding fuel out of a canister. If it can be re-used in a lighter, wouldn't it be nice to re-use it in something else. I doubt that I would use a lighter often enough for that to be my only use or enough reason to buy that set-up.

...the Primus Power Lighter ($17, primuscamping.com, which weighs 1.7 oz. and refills off an almost- spent fuel canister using the Primus Filling Adapter ($15)...

Last edited:
How many of us have several almost done canisters left? If you shake it and can hear some swishing, it's probably got about another 15 minutes left in it.

I use them up in my backyard testing new trail foods so I get to use em up. After the flame goes out I leave the valve wide open to be sure there is no preasure left in it and puncture the canister with a can opener. Once it's punctured it goes into my recycling trash.