Garfield/Galehead/Hancocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
I know this is very short notice, but wasn't sure about the snow situation. Toying around with heading up to Gale River Road for a few days to do Galehead and Garfield, test the sled, and knee :(.

Tentative plans: (slight change of plans :()
12/28: head out mid day (2:00ish) to set up camp near/on Gale River Trail
12/29: head up Galehead on snowshoes. Pack up and head out after Galehead
12/29: stay at Hancock CG (with an 8:00PM or so stop at the Woodstock Station)
12/30: Hancocks.

All hikes will be of the slow variety :eek:

Email me/post here if interested (or call cell if you have my number)

Last edited:
Galehead?

I might be able to join in on the Galehead hike...what time do you expect to start hiking and how far up do you expect to be camped?
-vegematic

The Hancocks

Sherp,

I am planning to meet up with you all at the Hancock Trailhead at the hairpin turn on Thursday morning.

What time do you think you will be gathering there?

cb

I might be interested in Hancock on Thursday. What time?

It'll all depend on how I juggle my vacation days and what my partner (who is not available on Thursday) has to say about it.

vegematic: For Galehead on Wednesday, (scratched Garfield) I heard from skimom today and she will start from Beaver Brook around 6:30-6:45. I'll likely start off once I've packed everything up. I plan to head in about 1-1.5 miles up the trail to set up camp, but it will depend what time I leave No Reading. You will easily catch up with me.

For Hancocks on Thursday, we will be at Lincoln Woods gearing up by 6:45. Always nice to get some nice warmth before starting off :)

Dr_Wu: hope you can make it!
CB: see you then!

BTW, Lisa is stuck in Virginia, so won't make this one :( Looks like shizzmac, Gris, and you 2. MikeP plans to catch up with us, leaving around 7:30. We will head up North, down South. Word is that it's crampons for most of the steep sections.

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
For Hancocks on Thursday, we will be at Lincoln Woods gearing up by 6:45. Always nice to get some nice warmth before starting off :)

Are you going to gear up at Lincoln Woods and then drive to the Hairpin Turn or are you hiking from Lincoln Woods?

Sherpa - are you going to be at the Woodstock Inn on Friday nite? Looks like we will have a small gathering there.

- darren

Tweaked my knee on Cherry Mtn today. Nothing major but won't be doing Galehead tomorrow. I hope you find more snow there than I had today!
-vegematic

May I join you

After reading this forum for some time and contributing a little I would like to join Sherpa's hike in to the Hancocks. I will be at the parking lot at the Hairpin Turn on the Kanc at 6:30 AM on thursday the 30th. Ready to go hillwalking.

Tom