Garmin changes inReach plans and fees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer. I have the Freedom plan which I only use when I go solo backpacking (which usually includes bushwhacking), which is only once a year. I'm usually deep into the Pemi so cell service is out of the question.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for posting that. I'm sure I have an email somewhere telling me about it that I've ignored. There are some good things from my perspective as an annual account user like more messages included. Since it isn't an annual contract I can move service levels and downgrade for months I don't have long trips planned.

I have a second device my wife uses once or twice a year on her solo trips which has a Freedom account. Looking at the details on that page I'm wondering if we can just leave it Enabled. It looks like you can still use the device, just paying per message with a 10 cent fee for check ins rather than free. If I am reading that right there doesn't seem to be much reason to upgrade to Essential for her trips. Am I missing something there?

I wonder if the increase in messages is a response to the new satellite capabilities of the iPhone. I just got the latest ios update on my iPhone 14. I was in the Pemi this weekend and wasn't surprised I didn't have service. I was surprised when my phone asked if I wanted to text my wife via satellite instead. The phone showed me the direction in the sky to point the phone and soon enough I was sending texts to my wife despite not having service. Pretty cool feature even if it doesn't replace my inReach.