Garmin GPSMap 60C

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelJ said:
Then I guess it's particular to my usage pattern, as I'm constantly switching between the topo and the street map depending on if I'm hiking or driving.
I think if you turn the roadmap off it makes it unavailable for autorouting. Since you probably turn it off for hiking, you have to turn it back on if you want to autoroute on the way home.

Cause and effect going in the other direction... :)

Doug

Mongoose said:
Ah, that's what I thought it might be... I guess it's not a big deal. I'll probably only use the GPS to get to specific points anyways.
If you can get a copy of Metroguide v4 (discontinued, from Ebay perhaps), it has no locking and will autoroute on the GPS. The road maps are a bit old, but they often have better coverage of rural roads than the current mapping products. The v4 data is from TeleAtlas, the newer road maps use data from NavTeq.

This is what I use and I'm in no hurry to update...

Doug

I took the GPS out for a mountain bike ride today. It worked great even under all the trees. I left it on and had it track and map my entire route, then I loaded it onto the computer to admire my biking. :) I think it will work out well for hiking. Marking waypoints is going to make me feel like a little kid again.. "Am I there yet? Am I there now?..."

Mongoose said:
"Am I there yet? Am I there now?..."
It is nice when hiking with kids to have the GPS along. You can tell them how long it will take to get to the next waypoint. They seem to accept it a whole lot better when you can show them a digital readout, rather than just saying "about twenty minutes" all the time"

Mongoose said:
Marking waypoints is going to make me feel like a little kid again.. "Am I there yet? Am I there now?..."
I actually find a version of this helpful on long drives (with a manually generated point-to-point route activated). I focus on the distance to the next waypoint rather than the distance (or time) to the destination. It feels less laborious to focus on a sequence of intermediate goals rather then the final goal.

Doug