Garmin Mapsource 6.14.1 Released

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amicus said:
I had not, but just did. The real Bow Lake Village is at the east end of Bow Lake. Topo 2008 labels the Lake "Bow Lake" (twice, for good measure) and also labels the Village "Bow Lake." I guess we may never know why Garmin migrated the Village to the summit of Larcom (which is unpopulated - I was up there just a few weeks ago).
A possible reason that the lake is labeled twice is that a map boundary goes through the lake and one label came from each map. (This is visible on the 25K maps in NG TOPO!. The Garmin topos are 100K, but maybe they have some info taken from the 25K maps.) There are also some regions in the original (Garmin) US Topo that have multiple copies of the name.

And the names are probably from a list of lat-lon and placenames--a format that begs for errors. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of automatic processing with limited checking. (The US is a big place--carefully checking the entire map would be rather expensive.) Murphy's law of map making: if something can go wrong, it will. Good mapmaking requires a massive case of OCD checking and rechecking for errors. I suspect that such care wasn't done.

Lots of people have found errors in commercial digital maps for use with their GPSes.

IMO, simple carelessness is far more likely than intent.

Doug

MichaelJ said:
FYI ... Bow Lake Village is still in the right place in City Navigator North America NT v8.
Doesn't matter.

The data sources are different.
* The topos are generated from USGS data (likely the USGS DLGs)
* City Navigator NA NT is from Navteq (a commercial map supplier)

* Tele Atlas is the other major supplier of digital road maps. (Garmin MetroGuide v4.0 was supplied by them, the later versions are from Navteq)

I suspect that the licenses do not allow the combination of data from different sources. (The US topos are public domain, but I'm sure the others are under restrictions.)

Doug

I installed this version (6.14.1) since july or august and it work fine on my PC with Windows XP SP3.
A month ago I install it on Annie's PC who have Windows 2000 NT and it works good also.