Gathering 8.0 Hike Plans

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
I'm planning to join MichaelJ on the sunset/moonlight hike of Mansfield Thursday evening. Friday I'd like to do Camel's Hump (mid morning start) and am thinking of going up one of the trails from the east side but would also consider climbing from the west side. If anyone has any specific recommendations (views, trail conditions, etc.) of one way vs. the other, I'm open to any suggestions. It might also be possible to arrange a key swap so would be able to see both sides. Any takers?

A recent Trail condition report mentions the Monroe Trail (east side?). This trail isn't mentioned in my old guidebook. What was it called 30 years ago? The Callahan Trail or Forestry Trail?

teejay

teejay,

You can also do loops from either side. From the west, The Burrows Trail, Long Trail and Forest City Trail make a 5.6 mile loop. From the east, The Monroe Trail, Long Trail and Dean Trail make a 7.4 mile loop. I’ve done the west loop and enjoyed it.

The Delorme map book shows a 'Forestry Trail’ in the vicinity of what is now the Monroe Trail so it looks like the name was changed. I copied a map for you and will bring it along.

I hope to get there some time Thursday afternoon or evening. I’d like to do Jay Peak/Big Jay on Saturday and am open for Friday.

I've never been to Vermont so i'll go anywhere! :)

Ivy: Is your trip going to be another one of those "easy" beginner hikes like the one you guys took me on in the Whites? :eek: ...If it is then I'm game! I'm still slow and I think steady.

coldfeet said:
Ivy: Is your trip going to be another one of those "easy" beginner hikes like the one you guys took me on in the Whites? :eek: ...If it is then I'm game! I'm still slow and I think steady.

It's an easy bushwhack, so if you want to stick to trailed peaks, Camel's Hump might be a better choice. That said, you are more than welcome to come along, as I am still slow! :) I promise, snowshoes won't be needed one this one.

- Ivy

Still trying to figure schedule and timing... I'd love to get there in time on Thursday for the sunset, but I have lots of miles to cover... Michael please post a start time and place so I can attempt to hit it.

TeeJay - uhmmmmmm... 5.6 mile vs 7.4 mile. How long are you going to think on this one?? :rolleyes:

Saturday - Chomp/Darren - is this a Mtn Bike day?

We are planning on going to the Kingdom Trails on Sunday for some mtb action. Depends on the weather though. If it looks like it is going to rain on Sunday we might go on Sat.

- darren

Tom Rankin said:
Yes, Yes, Yes! Two more people here who want to do Mendon, Pico, Killington!

Okay, to update: it's official, there is a group of us heading up these three peaks on Saturday. It's 12.5 miles and 3700 feet of elevation gain. We will also be celebrating SteveHiker's finish of the NE67 on Killington (Hooray!) so most of the planning is being done in that separate thread. Anyone else interested in joining (Coldfeet, are you still thinking about coming?)

-Ivy

Worcester Range?

I'd like to hook up with someone and will see what's going on Saturday. Have a 4Runner that we use for car spotting if necessary.

Will arrive Friday evening, possibly late.

The Mendon Killington loop is of interest. I think it was the only peak we bagged enroute to the 100 highest that we drank a couple beers and watched the Patriots while at/near the summit!

The Worcester Range is also of interest. I don't have a current map but is there a reasonable route/bushwhack that could include, say, Hogback to Hunger on the Worcester Range? With a car spot, this is potentially an end to end that, with its convenience to Stowe, minimizes driving and maximizes hiking.

Dave and I are planning to hike Jay Peak/Big Jay on Friday (depending on the weather, of course). Let one of us know if you are interested in joining.

Ivy: I'm game for the trip, don't know a thing about it but I trust those hiking! Will there be views?...thx

Thursday has a weather forecast for rain and possible thunderstorms. There is no point in my climbing Mansfield as a sunset/night hike in those conditions. If that's the case, I'll go up Friday or Saturday during the daytime, which are both forecast to be beautiful.

Will arrive either late late Thu. night or early Fri. morning...depends on work, as usual. I'm guessing it's an early Friday start for the Worcester Range ramble...gotta car spot and all... If I don't get in before Friday morning, I'll need to know when and where to link up. You're in chahge, Audrey!
JT

Worcester Range

How far is it, anyway. It only looks like a couple inches on the map and I never did check the scale. I assumed it was around 9 miles???

Pete I would be interested
How long a day? hike and driving I need to get back to Long Island
This may allow me to hike Abraham and Ellen on Friday and Mansfield with others on Saturday
That would be a good weekend
Al